BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

Hydrogen Peroxide to get rid of Microbes? O.o

Alright so I was reading an article about Rooting Hibiscus Cuttings and came across an article about rooting them in water. In the article it stated..

"Pour 1-2" of warm (body temperature) water into a container. Add a few drops of hydrogen peroxide to discourage microbes from multiplying in it."

Has anyone ever heard of this? Is it safe? Is it necessary? I figured it would kill the plant but I guess this person actually does it and doesn't have problems. Was just wondering your opinions on this matter.

lorax
Greener Thumb

It kills microbes and actually seems to mildly stimulate rooting, as long as you keep it to 1-2 drops of fairly dilute peroxide (ie 10-20 vol.)

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

ThankYou for your response!! I'm gunna try it now lol ;p if only I had known this while I was trying to root my bougainvillea and oleander in water lol thankfully they have made it in pots and are growning well now :)

lorax
Greener Thumb

Foo, it's almost impossible to kill Oleander (I've tried), and even just cutting a bit and sticking it in the ground is usually enough to get it to root. :shock:

Bougs, however, I'm totally hopeless with. If I get them as bedding plants, they do wonderfully, but I can't start my own cuttings to save my life. :evil:

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

Bougainvillea is a bit difficult to root. However I did manage to get one hard wood and one soft wood cutting both to root in water LOL it took about a month but they darn well rooted! LMFAO

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”