greg1186
Cool Member

dead hummingbird

I found a dead ruby throated hummingbird in my garden today... although it is dead it is still beautiful with shiny green and red feathers... if anyone wants to see pics I can post them

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Just a caution to be careful when handling birds that you find dead. Birds are a carrier of West Nile virus.

Ruby Throats are on this CDC list of dead birds that have been found to have died from West Nile virus.

https://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/westnile/birdspecies.htm

Skoorbmax
Cool Member

I actually would like pics. I caught the occasional glimpse of these as a kid at home. I've thought of buying a feeder here. They are definitely cool and I'd love to try and get a pic of one with our decent camera. In fact, tomorrow I think I will buy a feeder :)

Skian

We just learned that you have to be very careful with the
homemade nectar in the hummingbird feeders.
The nectar can ferment in the summer heat.
I had no idea but it makes sense.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Very true. Also, the black mold that grows in nectar that isn't changed often enough, and in feeders that aren't cleaned carefully before refilling, causes a fatal liver disease in hummingbirds.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Don't put sugar water in your hummingbird feeders it will kill the birds.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Do you have a reference for the veracity of that, Gary? :?

Nectar, and the occasional small ant or other tiny insect, is what hummingbirds live on. Sugar water is what we feed to orphaned baby hummingbirds, and adult hummers that are being rehabbed. They always do just fine.

Honey is quite bad for them, however. In feeders, it ferments even faster than sugar water. A bacteria, which causes a deadly tongue disease in the birds, grows in the fermented honey water.

Also, adding red food coloring is discouraged. It isn't necessary. All birds have excellent eyesight, and once the hummingbirds realize there is a feeder available, they will use it.

applestar
Mod

I've also read on Audubon pages that this is one instance where refined WHITE sugar is healthier than raw sugar which still contains some molasses that promotes fermentation. In fact, I only buy white sugar for the hummingbirds. :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

"Also, adding red food coloring is discouraged. It isn't necessary"

Our hummingbird feeder is made of red plastic, so it doesn't matter that the liquid inside it is clear; you still have the red to attract them.

Here's a bit from an article about feeding hummingbirds:

"mericans can't use raw sugar, because its sale is banned in the U.S. due to diverse and unpredictable impurities (bacteria, molds, heavy metals, rat excrement, insect parts, etc.). The so-called "raw" sugar (also known as turbinado) common in third-world countries and marketed by health food stores is actually refined by the same process as white sugar, but without removing all of the molasses and other non-sugar components. The result is a less-pure sucrose that contains about five times as much iron as white sugar; since iron is essential but normally rare in hummingbird diets, their bodies hoard it, and even a modest excess of iron can poison them. If you have the choice, use only white sugar in hummingbird feeders.

Here is an article by Penny Elliston, a licensed hummingbird rehabilitator, about the dangers of relying too heavily on commercial mixes.

Please, do not put honey, Jell-O, brown sugar, fruit, or red food coloring in your feeder! Honey ferments rapidly when diluted with water and can kill hummingbirds. The effects of red dye have not been not scientifically tested, and it is not necessary to color the water to attract birds to your feeder. Further, there are unverified reports that red dye can cause tumors in hummingbirds; this may or may not be true, but why take the chance?" https://www.hummingbirds.net/feeders.html

Skoorbmax
Cool Member

So it sounds like a $3 walmart feeder plus _regularly_ replaced mixture of cheap, refined sugar mixed with water is the safest bet? How often should the stuff be replaced?

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I follow the recipe Marlingardener posted is that fine? I do boil the stuf.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I just love hummingbirds. So how about some pics of live birds.

I myself don't want to see dead birds. :wink:

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”