gardengrl3

Ideas for self watering garden?

Hello everyone,
I have a friend that does not belong to this site but I told him I would ask everyone for their great advice-

He has some remote property up north that he visits twice a month-he is trying to start a garden with some self sustaining flowers(sweet peas, morning glory, poppies) & tomatos-which some critters ate already I think. His property is about a half mile from a fresh water stream.

Does anyone have any ideas for a self watering system until he gets some type of irrigation set up to water the garden? I suggested using plastic water gallon containers(like the big arrowhead bottles or whatever brand) and putting small holes and filling up with water for a slow drip. I would appreciate any ideas or anything anybody has tried! :D

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

The only kind of gardens I can think of in remote northern California properties which are visited only monthly or so are usually under surveillance by the law.

No joke. Also, if your friend's property is truly that remote, he needs to check it carefully--preferably in the company of others (maybe a deputy sheriff?)--to make sure no one *else* has already set up some sort of growing enterprise on his property.

Many square miles of federal and state parks have been turned into eco-wastelands by drug cartels using these remote areas for their own purposes, together with herbicides and who knows what, and diverting natural sources of water. Innocent hikers, completely unaware that anyone was even within shouting distance, have been shot dead within the past few years by sentinels of these enterprises.

I understand the desire to have a garden on remote property, but I've lived in the Bay Area for quite a while and have friends in more northerly counties who have given up favorite hiking trails and other "wilderness" activities due to the uncertainty associated with such cartels.

If his property is indeed secure, native plants would be the best way to go, unless he's looking for edible gardening. In that case, he might do well to look into agri/horticultural methods known to have been used in the Southwest by the Native Americans (First Nations) peoples (sunken beds, slanted beds just to name two), and ensure that his property perimeter is strong.

Two-footed garden thieves are much more difficult to deal with than the four-footed ones. :evil: Sad but true.

Sorry to be the bearer of so much negativity, but as you're in Long Beach and I don't know where your friend lives, I'm not sure if either of you know how much of the parkland in the coastal ranges has been compromised. :(

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

thanrose
Greener Thumb

Aw, Cynthia! That makes me sad. My initial thinking was similar to yours, and then I thought, "Okay, 'Than, not everyplace is as bad as you think." Now you've gone and confirmed...

Same-same here, although we have different ecologies and economies at work. A quarter century ago, I started packing heat when hiking some remote areas of the state forests. Now I just don't go anymore at all. Too risky with mostly herb growers, but also the occasional poacher or distiller and all of them ready to shoot first.

To the original poster, setting up the milk jugs is a lot more problematic than you'd think. The rate of flow is really hard to adjust on drips like that. A wick system might work better. Both would attract small animals looking for a convenient water source.

I'd probably experiment with small trees and shrubs that can adapt to xeric conditions. Maybe use some hydrogel to get them established, or truck in some compostable mulching.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

A friend and I were hiking in the Kalmiopsis wilderness one time, when we were suddenly confronted on the trail by a guy with a shotgun. Thankfully, he just ordered us to turn around and go back the way we came, rather than simply shooting us. :(

Kitty-Diggins
Newly Registered

Ah the Kalmiopsis. I burned down in 2001. My back yard.
I tried the water jug method on my Bonsi's when it was really warm here. They fried. I think the gell pellets would be good and like one said native plants or draught tolerant wildflowers.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”