BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

brown thumb in attempts to propagate in water?

I'm fit to be tied! :( I really am not sure what I am doing wrong. Every time I try to propagate a cutting in water I never see roots! Here is the process I normally take. I take my cutting normally just below a node on the plant making sure that there is at least 4 leaves left on the plant. I then put water in a clear plastic container so that the leaves don't touch the water. I then put them up near the window in my kitchen, change the water twice a day and mist them whenever the leaves look dry. The plants I am trying to root in water are, Bougainvillea, Oleander, and Lantana. I know people say that its so simple to do and they normally see roots in a couple days but its not working for me, They have been in water for at least a week now with no signs of roots. Feeling a little bit discouraged. Any advice or comments are much appreciated. Thanks.

Ps: I Like the idea of propagating in water because the roots will be visible. (if i can ever get it to work lol ) OH! and I know that there is a bunch of controversy about whether or not it is best to propagate plants in water or not. What is your opinion?
Confusion at its Finest :D
I'm rooting for you!

*USDA Zone 8b :: Sunset Zone ?*
https://bewilderedgreeny.weebly.com/

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Unfortunately, the plants you have chosen don't root in water. Bougainvilla cuttings should be of softwood or semi-ripe wood, and must include a heel of the previous year's growth. Oleander cuttings must be of semi-hard wood.

Lantana is quite difficult to root. The cuttings must be ripe wood, but not yet hard. The rooting medium should be sharp sand, in a container with plenty of drainage holes. Water it thoroughly before inserting the cuttings, and after that, keep it barely moist. Keep the cuttings at 60º.

All of these types of cuttings should be dipped in rooting hormone before insertion into the growing medium. They should have some kind of clear cover, to prevent them from losing too much moisture. Keep them in bright light, but out of direct sunlight. The addition of bottom heat is helpful as well.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

ThankYou Kisal for your response. Good information :) I have however heard and researched that Oleanders are able to be propagated in water. "You can use either way and still be successful.Make your cuttings about 6' long each and remove the lower leaves. The location of the bottom three leaf nodes is where your roots will start, although they will progress elsewhere. Cut the remaining upper leaves to about one inch long. You can place these in water by themselves, or put in a small twig of willow - which acts as a stimulator - long with the cuttings in the water. After the roots grow to between one and two inches long, transplant inot some good draining soil." [url]https://www.oleander.org/culture.html[/url] Hmm perhaps they are just super slow growing roots? lol I May just dip them in rooting hormone and see if they grow in soil.. I guess I'll never know unless I try. Thanks Again! :)
I'm rooting for you!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Best of luck in your efforts. Keep us posted. :)
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

applestar
Mod

I don't know how well these root in water, but for ones that do, putting a fresh willow twig in with the cuttings helps. The willow will root first though, so be sure not to let it strangle your cuttings.

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

So about a week has gone by since I put my cuttings in water to propagate and I am finally seeing progress!! :D The bougainvillea and Oleanders are doing wonderful in water, still not sure what the lantanas are doing yet, I just hope that they will continue to be healthy once I move them to soil. At what point should I move them to soil? O.o I am seeing little white spots on the stem where the roots are coming in and am so excited since these are the first cuttings I've ever tried to propagate.

Here is a pic of my babies :D
from left to right: 2 bougainvillea, 2 lantana, and 2 Oleander :) I have one other oleander as well in a different water container that didn't fit in the pic which is doing great as well <3

[img]https://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt261/NySnap/OddsnEnds/P1010386.jpg[/img]
I'm rooting for you!

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

Ok so quite some time has gone by since I posted this topic and I am back to ask some more questions. First as a quick update, My Oleander, Lantana, and my Bougainvillea all rooted successfully in water :D Yay! So for any of you wondering ... It "Can" be done! :) In fact my Bougainvilleas Rooted from both new and old growth. Now for a couple more questions...

1. I put my newly water rooted lanata and oleander into soil and they seem to be doing well so far... when should I put them in direct sun? I know that Lantana & Oleander are sun lovers.

2. I Rooted a Hibiscus in Soil... When can I start putting this plant into full sun?
I'm rooting for you!

ianhouston
Newly Registered

Hi

I'm a newbie at bougainvillea cuttings, and after reading your posts recently got two cuttings of bougs in water(29-may-2012), and they have started showing signs of rooting(4-june-2012) same as you have shown in your pics. I was wondering how long after the initial signs did you finally pot them. I mean how long were the roots when you potted them.

i would appreciate your response.

TIA
RP

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

I don't have a specific time that I plant them after they root in water.. I'm not sure it matters. I do make sure that they are at least a half an inch long before planting just to give it more chance of living. I figure, more roots, more ability for the roots to catch and survive in dirt, but that's just my theory. Since posting that I've rooted soooo many more plants in water, its just the way that tends to work best for me as an individual. Pretty much all plants that I've rooted in water continue to live in soil, i've never had any water rooted plants die yet. They seem to be thriving actually :)
I'm rooting for you!

ianhouston
Newly Registered

Hello,

Since my last post pleased to inform that both the bougainvillea cuttings have rooted in water.

cutting date 29th may 2012

1st cutting rooted on 23rd July 2012 potted after 1 week of rooting
2nd cutting rooted on 3rd sept 2012 waiting to be potted.

Would not have tried to root them in water, had i not come across your(bewildered...) posts here.

Other than the above two cuttings have successfully rooted in water and potted:

Gardenia = 3 cuttings
Night blooming jasmine(cestrum nocturnum) = 2 cuttings
jasmine = 2 cuttings
Crape Jasmine = 1 cutting
Quisqualis Indica (Rangoon Creeper) = 1 cutting

applestar
Mod

Congratulations! :D
...but be careful, this sort of activity can become addictive -- in fact I think I see the signs.... :wink: :>

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I think mainly you want to be sure your cutting is growing and putting out new leaves before you transfer it to soil. Do the transfer gently, using potting soil and be sure to keep it moist. The water roots are delicate and not used to drying out.

Once you have a nice little potted plant growing, then you can harden it off to direct sun as you would harden anything.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

SvetSad

I have not tried to root any of those types of cuttings, but i have successfully rooted other different cuttings. I have noticed that most of the time, if i don't change the water often, maybe every other week, but i do add on to it as it evaporates. And I've noticed that if there is algae growing on roots, the roots seem to grow faster. And if a willow branch is added, it will root even faster. Usually within a month i see either roots or at least what i think is mycorrhiza, and once that's visible, shortly after roots do grow. after that i leave the cuttings in water until the roots start to "branch out", usually another month or 2.
I'm Russian and litteral translation of screen name is Svet "light" Sad "garden" :)

amyscott
Newly Registered

Re: brown thumb in attempts to propagate in water?

Lantanas root well in water as well as oleanders. I have rooted both. They take about 14 days. After planting they are thriving great in this texas heat. Don't give up.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”