linlaoboo
Green Thumb

ivy and mulch?

girlfriend wants me to mulch the garden so weeds won't grow, my question is will it stop our ivies from growing?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

If you're referring to English ivy, almost nothing will stop it from growing. In many states it has been declared an invasive and noxious pest.

Are you worried about smothering it or trying to smother it?

Cynthia
(watching over Vergil, post-op 6-year-old Bernese Mtn. Dog)

linlaoboo
Green Thumb

Thanks for replying. We're in NJ and the type of English ivies I've seen around here only thrives in the shade or north and east facing direction. My garden faces south south east so it gets sun most of the day. My Ivies which I like to keep naturally are surviving only in the shade below larger shrubs.

While I want the mulch to stop the weeds from growing, I want to make sure it won't kill my Ivy.

shadowsmom

I'm in NJ also and have been battling the ivy that came with my house for 25 years. Unless you cover the ivy with plastic and 10 inches of mulch, your ivy will not die, ever. If you have a difficult weed problem put a good layer of newspaper down, then mulch. Don't worry - the ivy will come through all that but the less aggressive weeds will be held back.

linlaoboo
Green Thumb

shadowmom,

Thanks for that clarification. I'm around the Priceton area and there're lots of properties with large trees that provide plenty of shade for ivies to thrive. My garden faces full sun most of the day and some ivies I put in have since died which I'm not surprised. I just hope those that thrive under my shrubs just expand themselves a bit to make things look fuller. I'll go get some mulch so the bad weeds can be eliminated.

shadowsmom

I'm about an hour North and West of you - along the Delaware. The ivy that came with the house was planted on the North and West side. I can't keep the North side under control. Every year I rip tons out that try to strangle the shrubs. I can manage to keep the west side manageable. Good luck!

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”