supagirl277

what plants would do well in shade

I'm looking for things to put under my deck to make it look less drab. There's a pondless watertall in the space next to the space under It. Stuff I could most likely put in a pot.
Thanks!
~I learn as I go... I just wish that would I learn faster. :)
~Well at least I have my backups... nope they're dead too.
~Outdoor gardens are very good when you have a Bearded Dragon that can just chomp her fill when she's hungry.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Do you actually mean to plant underneath your deck? How high above ground level is it? What is the soil like, and does the area get any light or moisture?

There are a few things that will grow in deep shade. In the spray from a waterfall, certain species of ferns might do well.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

supagirl277

It's about fifteen feet high and its good enough soil for strawberries to grow there naturally. The waterfall is more like a 3 tiered waterfall, so I don't think it gives off spray. I'm most likely doing pot plants or hanging pots. There's wood chips on weed fabric there right now... thinking I might see if I can plant some decorative pretty things there lol.
~I learn as I go... I just wish that would I learn faster. :)
~Well at least I have my backups... nope they're dead too.
~Outdoor gardens are very good when you have a Bearded Dragon that can just chomp her fill when she's hungry.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

At 15' above ground, you could plant all kinds of things under there! I was hoping that would be the answer you gave. :D

Do you just want flowers? How about some smallish shrubs, like 4 to 5 feet high ... maybe with a pretty groundcover around them? :)
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

NorthCoastGardener

Ferns would be a good choice for shade, foxgloves, possibly coral bells, bleeding heart, fuchsias if there is some filtered light with the shade, hellebores, hosta. If it is a total shade spot the ferns and foxgloves should do well there.
NorthCoastGardener

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I have some columbines growing in a shady spot. They do OK. Nothing else wants to grow there.
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”