rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

What did you do in your garden today?

I thought this might be an interesting new thread:

What I did in my garden today:

Pruned weigela

Continued working on pruning huge old lilac

Ran bushels of old brush through the chipper, turned it into a bucket of wood chips.

Weeded out half of the large flower bed in front of living room window, dug up a bunch of spent iris, replanted a few of them, mulched with the above wood chips.

Weeded around weigela and panicle dogwood

Watered front flower beds from the rain barrel

Cleaned up all the mess I made, trimmings in the compost, prunings on the brush pile (it never seems to get any smaller, even though I keep making wood chips!)

Added more soil to the potato container

Walking around and looking at things and dead heading while I do it.
Last edited by rainbowgardener on Mon May 17, 2010 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Between rainshowers, I ran out and took photos, does that count?

I transplanted what I can't get into the ground just yet, can't get a break in the rain long enough to get things rolling. I am NOT complaining, we needed the rain, I just wish it would do it at night, while I sleep! Picky people, huh?

Sounds like you worked enough for both of us!

Susan W
Greener Thumb

That is impressive!
I have been trying to re-work some area, pot up more herbs, etc. A bit slow as I do have a strain that needs babied, with ibuprofin and just not doing as much.

supagirl277

I did this today...

Planted cucumbers in a nice big pot.

Planted my carrots and radishes in the same row so I'm not swamped with them as I don't eat a lot of them at once.

Planted my onions in the next row with plenty of space and I don't even know if they are the right kind for my zone...

Planted my lettuce with uber room and I hope I spaced them correctly... I need to know how to thin plants just in case I did it wrong.

I planted my canteloupe in its own little spot with partial shade. I hope it doesn't mind too much.

I watered and arranged my herbs around.

I sprayed my little seeds very carefully as to not drown them.

Looked at my row of peas I planted yesterday along with my zucchini and squash. I sprayed them too. :]

Labeled my popsicle sticks and put them in the appropriate places... will water proof them later.

Made sure my mint wasn't going to spread down through the drainage holes by putting some cardboard under it. Might need to do with other herbs just in case.

Moved my tomatoe plant further in the sun.

Picked some mint and lemon balm just so I could smell it :)

Watered the flowers while looking at the awesome organization.

Relaxed and looked at my work and was strangely thinking about "well done pig, well done." :)

Overall it was a very productive day... all while there was a birthday party going on! :D

SWMOgardens
Cool Member

I weeded all my beds (it rained 5 inches this week), mowed and edged my lawn, refilled my hummingbird feeders, put out more grape jelly for the orioles (I have gone through one big jar this year already),and wandered around my garden and stared at the beauty.

[img]https://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab19/swmogardens/100_6770.jpg[/img]

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I am moving plants from the green house and planting them. Setting up the drip system and making cages and poles for the plants to climb.
The grass grows fast this time of year so I do a lot of mowing.

love11

beautyfull picture

engineeredgarden
Green Thumb

I pulled 10 lbs of onions, then amended the area with homemade compost so the sweet potatoes could take their place. Now I'm just watching it rain...

EG

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Wow! 10 pounds of onions! Amazing!

Yesterday I didn't have much garden time (church, concert, motorcycle ride) but I did plant a 4' American hornbeam tree on my hillside. And our good deed for the day was to take the honeysuckle popper over to a friends house and help them pop a couple big old honeysuckle bushes from an area they were trying to clear.
Last edited by rainbowgardener on Mon May 17, 2010 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

albucsfan
Cool Member

Got out and did some weeding, discovered that my little helpers mixed up the cucumber and the canteloupe seeds :oops: (so the lovely vines that I thought would be canteloupe, they are cucumbers :lol: :oops: )

Checked on the Lemon cucumbers that were sprouted by accident in Little Man's Venus flytrap (pulled carefully and moved straight outside....doing well :shock: )

Picked another handful of green beans :D

My little veggie patch seems to be doing well despite the comedy of errors around here....good thing I am very fond of cucumbers.....

Trying to decide if it's too late to start canteloupes, or if it's worth a try.. :oops:

Steph

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Not too late to start cantaloupe where you are.... you have a long growing season there in Alabama, so plenty of time and they like warm weather.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Just saw this thread. Hmmmm yesterday.

Watered garden

Repotted cleome seedlings, sweet cluster seedlings, dill, and basil seedlings.

Harvested lettuce, carrots, radishes, tomatoes, strawberries, blueberries, cherries

Pulled up spent kale plants

Pulled some weeds and squished some flea beetles, squash bugs, and bean beetles.

Thinned flower plants in large mixed annual bed.

Mixed up a batch of potting soil.

Renewed watering depression around a few young trees.

Rescued a flying squirrel from the garden arbor and moved it to a large oak tree.

Walked the yard and garden with wife and a glass of nice cabernet (Twenty Bench).

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Wow... I love your garden, Alex. I have never SEEN a flying squirrel. How cool. Taking the time to just walk and enjoy the garden with the wife and the glass of wine sounds lovely too.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Thanks, lots of great gardens/gardeners on our forum!

Flying squirrels are nocturnal and very secretive. The only previous time that I've seen one, is where my friend had a feeder off of his deck area. We would use infrared night vision to watch the animal sneak down to the feeding platform. The squirrel most always stayed on the opposite side of the tree from us, even when we were at a distance.

This one yesterday was the first that I've seen close up. It has huge eyes like those of South American nocturnals. I wore a thick leather glove to pick up the critter, which seemed a little confused, being out in the bright light which must have been blinding it. His teeth were nothing like those of a regular squirrel as they were like short needles. Must feel on small bugs and other small animals. I'm not sure if this one was a juvenille or not, but was pretty small.

rootsy
Green Thumb

Nothing yet today... How about yesterday...

Laid plastic, transplanted tomato, pepper, egg plant, zucchini, squash, cucumber and lettuce starts. Planted another replication of sweet corn and put bush and pole beans in. Hilled potatoes and cultivated beets, radish and swiss chard.

If the rain holds off we move on to melons tonight... Need to start another replication of melons in the greenhouse too...

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

My kids used to catch flying squirrels bare handed. Some would bite, some actually didn't bite at all. Bites weren't great, but no worse than a hamster bite.

They do great on grains, and hamster food.

They can become big pets relatively quickly. To see more of them, place a small feeding platform, somewhere that you can see at night, but not brightly lit. Place some grains on it, and nuts and fruits, they will show up sooner or later, just remember to fill it at night, the birds will eat the grain by day.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

albucsfan I only plant lemon cucumbers as they do not give me hart burn. I love them and they make the best relish.
I will be putting in more starts from the green house today and putting in more drip pipe.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

The weather here can't make up its mind to rain, or be sunny!

When I can't go to the garden, the sun shines, then when I get the chore done and can go, it clouds up and starts thundering again.

I don't mind rain, but, I don't like lightning much!

Question? On no till gardening, can I still poke a hole in wet soil and just stick corn in? Will the dirt in the hole be too compacted from being messed with wet?

If it won't hurt anything, then, I may sneak out and put in some corn.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

It is raining, off and on all week, but does it count to say what you are going to do?

I got this today:
[img]https://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww281/Ozark_Lady/000_0219_phixr.jpg[/img]

And when I opened the box, this is what I saw:
[img]https://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww281/Ozark_Lady/000_0220_phixr.jpg[/img]

Gorgeous already! Thank you! I know between rainshowers tomorrow these guys are going in the ground, they are still moist and look great!

So today, I am celebrating!

tylianna

Planted hills of corn

Hilled dirt up on my potatoes. I can't believe they are so big already!

Worked up some ground to plant my cucumbers.

Replaced the snap peas on the trellis since wind blew them over

Pulled out some grass weeds out of some rows and walk areas

Weeded my tulip/gladiolus bed

Hardened some seedlings.

Pinched flowers off of strawberries.

Planted another row of green beans.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Yuk!

Almost nothing.

Had to work on the stock portfolio. Then, was busy cleaning a house that had been invaded by a duck, which flew from room to room making large droppings, and then died and stayed in the house for a long while. It flew down the chimney and forced its way through the glass fireplace doors. Am looking after the property for a friend.

Then drove out of town to buy wine, new Thermador cooktop and downdraft, stop by granite countertop company,.... you get the picture, all yucky stuff (except for the wine buying).

Only had time to water and make the most brief walk through the garden.

Today, back to the yard and garden, and more normal spring routines.
Last edited by hendi_alex on Thu May 20, 2010 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

SkyKero
Cool Member

I said good morning to all my plants -- I find I do this every morning since I planted a bunch a month ago (first time really creating a garden) -- I like making sure they all wake up ok.

Yesterday -- a friend gave me a bunch of bags of decomposed firewood from a back yard he was clearing out --- I am plotting on going by there and getting some more today :)

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Nothing it has been raining for days, I worked some in the green house and I have a lot of plants to go in to the ground in it. I am getting cabin fever.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”