Marsman
Green Thumb

Great Weekend!

Saturday, I dug up and moved 3 blueberry bushes from a shady part of the yard into a sunnier part. Then went and visited a local tree farm to see if he had any ugly little tree he'd like to sell for my bonsai collection. He wound up giving me 2 Scott's pines, 2 red cedar and a Serbian spruce. Only the spruce has any real bonsai potential, but I'll never turn down free trees. I can always use them in the yard.

After getting them home, I visited a local nursery to order some clean fill. (My wife wants the weirdest stuff for Mother's Day.) While there, I was talking to the owner and I turned the conversation around to bonsai and he mentioned he had two Hinoki cypress out in the trash heap. They do landscaping and often pull up old shrubs the owners don't want anymore and replace them with new ones. I go out back and find two beautiful cypress with their root-balls still attached. He says I can have them, just take them away. Next to them are three blooming azalea bushes, also in the trash heap. He says I can have them too. I back up the SUV and load them up. He also said he'd give me call when they dig up other shrubs that look primising. What a great guy!

So, I spent the rest of the day and Sunday afternoon planting trees in the yard.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Well all I have to say is, there might be hope for use yet. Mankind.

If not, I'm coming to visit you on Mars. :wink:
Last edited by DoubleDogFarm on Thu May 06, 2010 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marsman
Green Thumb

Thanks, Eric. Yes, there are some good people out there.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I think there are far more good people than bad ones, it is cool you got some good plant that wil get a new life.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”