timbo
Newly Registered

how to transplant elephants ears

Hi there,
We are trying to redevelop the huge block of land surrounding our home in Orlando, Florida. It used to belong to an elderly woman who had quite a beautiful garden going at one stage, but in her last years it got too much for her and everything went wild, and we're now trying to bring some semblance of order back to it.

One of the things we want to do is relocate a few large patches of elephants ears from the back corner of our property, where they're wasted, to our front yard, where we we are in desperate need of a screen (we live on a corner lot that is so open it looks like public parkland!) One of the patches in particular has really gone berserk, spreading out over an area of something like 200 - 300 square feet, and a number of the outgrowing branches have taken root.

I'm told that for those that have taken root we can sever the connecting branch, is that correct? What I would like to do (with the help of a few robust friends!) is seperate them as much as we can, uproot each individual plant, and move them to a suitable prepared area at the front of our home. How easy will it be do free up the roots and succesfully transplant the plants? How far apart should we plant each of them?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.......Tim

peachguy

Where you live do the elephant ears ever go dorment, if so then you could just dig up the bulb but I am not familar with your area sooo I would wait until other people close to you post.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”