Sara B

Growing moss indoors?

I would like to have an indoor moss garden for the Winter. I know in my dry house, it will need to be misted. It shouldn't require bright light. So- anything else I need to consider? Thanks.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

The humidity is indeed the prime requisite; lots of misting, a humidity tray or best yet, a cloiche or terrarium are all good ideas. Sure the latter is a little expensive, but it's a one time purchase and it makes a big difference.

Moss is a great way to keep green during winter, whether it's indoors or out; enjoy...

Scott

Sara B

:) Thanks,Scott, at present I have an evergreen ground vine growing in a glass-covered container. Would that work for moss? Thanks.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Sure, in fact they may work well together (Not sure about what ground vine you're talking about, but a little native groundcover like partridge berry (Mitchellia repens) would go very nicely with moss)...

Scott

Sara B

:D Yes, I think it is partridgeberry. It grows in the woods, has white flowers and little red berries. Thank you. That should be very nice together.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Yep, that sounds like partridge berry alright. Nice!

Scott

Steven B

I just brought three types of moss back from vacation
with the intention of growing a moss garden on my coffee table.
1. Instead of a terrarium, how about a covered cake plate?
2. Does the air need to circulate regularly?
3. What about mold? Might moss rot?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

The cake plate will do very nicely.

Yes moss can mold; usually a function of too much water. While mosses are fond of damp conditions, unlike other plants they can dry completely and pop back to life instantly; just add water :D (sounds like an ad for drink mix! :roll: ). SO err to the dry side and that shouldn't be an issue...

Scott

Sara B

Hi, I have my moss in a cake pan with a glass cover. Added some rocks, wood and partridgeberry. The partridgeberry in the glass covered bowl is growing great -- even has some red berries! I'm so glad you told me about moss, Scott. I am always on the lookout for it and finding interesting patches. :D

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Me too...

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”