my_secret_garden
Cool Member

Climbing plants?

I have morning glories and moonflowers growing in my yard and they are a couple of inches tall now and getting a bit viney. How can I get them to climb up the wooden privacy fence they are somewhat close in front of? Can I encourage them to climb it with some string? I have never had climbing plants before that I actually WANTED... just horrible creeping ivy from my neighbors that I try desperately to get rid of. Any tips for this? Thanks in advance!

uggabugga

hey, I've been to clinton, iowa :)

sure, you can thumbtack pieces of string to your fence that hang down to ground level. sometimes they need a little encouragement to find the string with their tendrils, so you might try twisting them around the string a bit yourself to get them started. that's what I'm doing this season with sugar-snap peas and morning glories.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Generally speaking Morning glory doesn't need much to start climbing. I actually spend more time ripping it out because where I live it is an invasive weed. Anyway, yes string will work fine and also a pole or even another plant.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”