brookslike

Turning over soil in the rain?

Hey everyone, I'm as new to this board as I am to gardening, and I have a quick question.

I'll be turning over a garden soon (tomorrow hopefully). The problem is that it's forecast to rain for the next handful of days. Does the soil need to be completely dry to turn it over (there has never been a garden there, so it's just lawn right now), or can I do it in a bit of rain and drizzle? I want to plant a few spring crops next weekend, so I'd like to get it turned over and some compost incorporated as soon as possible. Thanks!
James

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

IMO, it's going to depend on the type of soil you have. A sandy, lightweight soil, or one containing a large amount of humus, could probably be worked under wetter conditions than the heavy clay soil I have. My soil would compact so much that it would turn into rock hard clods as it dried. I have to wait until there has been no rain for about a week.

However, if I were out working the soil after it reached that optimum level of "dry-but-still-a-little-damp," a light rain or drizzle sure wouldn't be reason enough for me to stop in mid chore. :)
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

brookslike

Thanks! I think I'm going to go ahead with it today. The forecast is calling for a 'chance of scattered showers', so it shouldn't be too bad.

Edit:

Went ahead and got half the garden dug. It's going to be 12 feet by 23 feet, roughly. It went fine, the rain drizzled once or twice in the early morning and it was sunny by the afternoon.
James

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”