my_secret_garden
Cool Member

Weird question? How do I get rid of grass?

I turned over and got rid of all of the grass in an area at the front of my yard. It is isolated on all four sides by cement. I thought that I got rid of everything but now that the area is covered by rock and mulch, there are weeds and grass sprouting up everywhere! I see around the town that I am not the only one having grass in mulch problems, but that doesn't make it any less frustrating. I tried spraying the area with vinegar solution but it did nothing. And with the infrequent rain, it has been getting worse. I weeded by hand a couple of times but it just keeps coming back. Does anyone have suggestions for me? I can't do much about the mulch area but if there is something I can put under the rock to discourage growth (besides film) I can remove the rock to put something down in that area. There is some grass, crabgrass, and other assorted weeds. :( I'm so sad because I worked so hard on this and it looked so nice before this junk started coming up.

Acer

1.) Cover with 2 layers of black plastic.

2.) Cover with 10 pages of newspaper, mulch on top of newspaper.

The newspaper option is good if you want to plant anything in the area because you can cut right through the paper. And the newspaper acts like a second layer of mulch. But, I think it takes longer to kill the roots of the remaining grass and weeds.

The plastic probably works a lot faster, but you can't plant anything because it cuts off a lot of the water supply.

I've only tried the newspaper option. I layed newspaper down around a new lilac shrub and new climbing rose. So far it has done its job.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

The mulch and newspaper methods are commonly used but, I have found that the sure fire way to be rid of grass is to dig it up with a shovel and then, compost the sod.

Then, I usually lay down a layer of mulched up leaves, followed by manure. (I actually go crazy with many layers of mulched up leaves and a wide variety of greens but, the above method works great).

I have found that with just a layer of newspaper or mulch over the grass, that invariably a lot of it just comes back up through the mulch or newspaper layer.

my_secret_garden
Cool Member

Thanks for the tips. I will have to give it a try. Does it have to be black and white newspaper? I was told that inks are bad for the soil or is that just the kind in glossy papers?

Thanks again!

Acer

I would probably go with just the black and white. Play it safe.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Yes, colour inks contain dioxins which poison plants. So, go with the black and white.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”