SkyKero
Cool Member

School Project -- Composting Diapers

For my Marketing Promotion class -- my team has decided that we are going to make a composter for diapers.

-- what I know -- for composting biosolids I need heat and things like that...

What I am not sure of(not a parent) is --- ok .. the biosolids usually get combined with greens-- like wood and such -- but... would I consider the "paper" part to be green -- and just add some sort of starter bokashi...

Our imagined compost will have 3-4 compartments for composting -- these compartments will do their own turning (it will require a bit of electricity).

Anyway -- any thoughts comments will be welcome.

Thanks,

Silvia

StorageSmart2
Cool Member

I'm not entirely sure I understand the idea behind the experiment. Are you trying to see if the diapers will compost and which brands compost better? Or is it to find out whether compost is a better quality with or without the diapers (or done by brand). Are you using only diapers that are marketed as composting diapers or will there be plastic disposables as well?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I have no clue. :lol: Forty years ago, when my son was born, disposable diapers were still considered a somewhat frivolous luxury, or something one only used when traveling with baby. When at home, cloth diapers were the thing to use. We dunked them in the toilet to clear away any solid matter, then stored them in a diaper pail, until we had enough to make a washer load. We washed them, ran them through the rinse cycle twice to be sure as little detergent residue as possible remained, then we hung them on the clothesline in the sun, so they were pretty and white and fresh smelling. Then we folded them, the folding pattern depending on whether one had a baby boy or baby girl. :)

A friend of mine who didn't have any children once commented that every time she came to visit, I was folding diapers. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ahhh! The good old days! :lol:

SkyKero
Cool Member

It is not really an experiment -- it's more of marketing plan -- we had to come up with something we wanted to promote --

We came up with this idea of composting diapers (yes only the kind that are more biodegradable like the seventh generation type diaper).
My question was -- that it seems to me most of the diaper will browns because cotton seems brown to me as well as the outside material of a diaper. So really my only "greens" would be the "number 2" diapers.

This is not a real product - but it got me thinking about the quantity of browns to greens --

Thanks for the replies.

Silvia

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”