Dixana
Greener Thumb

Are you freakin kidding me?!

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
It's APRIL! Spring! Flowers and birds and instead I wake up to THIS
[img]https://i44.tinypic.com/sdojr9.jpg[/img]
That's right, 3 flipping inches of snow and more coming down....
And did I mention last nights weather report said the rain MIGHT turn to snow and we MIGHT get a dusting??? Yeah I'm a little bitter.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Where do you live?

The year I drove out to California for the first time, I drove up the eastern slopes of the Rockies on April 28. My car then was so old that it didn't have a radio, and certainly cell phones weren't around...there was snow on the road. But all I had was myself, my girlfriend, and the VW. No shelter, no nothin'. No chains. Rear-wheel drive, though. We had started in Washington D.C., and were going straight through to Cheyenne.

Took us from 5:00 in the afternoon until 10:00 that night to get from West Stanley, Nebraska, to Cheyenne. The only thing I noticed, in my extreme focus to stay in the (imagined) lane, was that there was no traffic coming down the eastern face towards us.

Having lived as a driver in Georgia and Florida and traveled around in the Southeast until then, the idea of I-80 being closed to traffic never entered my mind. (And, remember: the VW didn't have a radio.) My girlfriend evidently hadn't ever heard of it, either; she didn't even suggest it as a possibility. :shock: And she had lived in Utah!!!

We got to Cheyenne. Three feet deep, the snow was.

If you're in the eastern Rockies, maybe a chinook will melt it all for you tomorrow?

Had you already planted? :x

Very discouraging, I agree.

Cynthia H.

Dixana
Greener Thumb

I live in WI :roll: I really should expect this weather -sigh- thankfully I didn't plant anything yet, though it's been circling my mind to start my peas, glad I waited!!
My hubby is a truck driver and I know exactly where and what you're talking about....the mountains can be CRAZY. Bet you didn't realize how lucky you really were!

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

We had lived in Cheyenne for four years when I was a kid, but of course I wasn't driving then...had a living-room view of the Rockies off in the distance (Warren AFB).

When girlfriend and I got to the motel (the first one that said VACANCY) that Tuesday night, the desk clerk looked at us and then at my car, and then at us again. "Y'all didn't come up from...Nebraska, did ya?"

"Yep."

"Jesus. The road's been closed most of the day. Didn't the highway patrol make ya turn back?"

"Never saw the highway patrol, and my car doesn't have a radio. Is there a room available? We're pretty cold, as you can imagine...."

Cynthia

Dixana
Greener Thumb

:lol: That lady probably thought you were nuts! Winter of 08 my hubby was stranded out west from a snow avalanche on I-80. For 2 days. Needless to say we were both pretty crabby that week as was the company he was hauling for.....

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Dixana wrote:I live in WI :roll: I really should expect this weather -sigh- thankfully I didn't plant anything yet, though it's been circling my mind to start my peas, glad I waited!!
The peas are cold weather crop and would have come through the cold snap and snow just fine.

I bet even jal_ut with the mile-high farm has peas planted!

Dixana
Greener Thumb

:( Does that mean it's too late for peas??? I'll be sad, my son and I will sit together and eat sugar snap peas like candy.

Kelsey Jane

Where I live we do not put in our garden until May. We also have a short growing season. Our peas are successful so I don't see why you couldn't still plant them.

Good luck and I hope the weather has changed for the better!

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”