Franco

Career aptitude test

I just took my career aptitude test today in school (I'm 15) and the top choice it gave me was 1. Biologist. Followed by, 2. Food Scientist, 3. Cook/Baker, 4. Math-Science teacher. I know biology and cooking are very closely related and I LOOVE both of them.... but I don't seem to get decent grades. Does anyone know of any schools that have good science programs that wouldn't require a 4.0 (I wish) GPA to get into? I don't know much about culinary schools but do they still offer science courses?? This is something I really like and want to persue. I am a sophomore and school ends in about... 2 weeks including finals so I'm kind of running out of time to get my GPA up and I reallllyy like biology (just reiterating).

P.S. I know this post was kind of rambly but I'm sorry! I'm just scared about my future but also very excited.

Lacy

Franco,
I would say that, as a soon to be Junior, even having a general idea of what you want to do puts you ahead of the game.
I don't think that cullinary schools offer classes that aren't related to cooking, but many jr. and 4 yr. colleges offer some cullinary classes.
Also, you do not need a 4.0 to get into college. In fact, even a 2.0 or so will get you into a community college.
Lastly, chemistry, while not the easiest class, is closely related to cooking. Kind of like Alton Brown's show on Food TV.
Good Luck!

PS If you would like to get a better idea of what classes are offered where, I think most colleges post their catalog of classes on line.

Franco

Lacy thank you very much. And I watch Food Network all the time and Good Eats my favorite show!!! Alton's a great guy. Thanks for your post!!

Grey
Greener Thumb

The better your GPA, the better off you are. So don't slack, you have time to bring it up!

That said, I think it's great that you're looking into this already. I do wish our schools let us have time to figure ourselves out and grow up and see what we really do want to do with our lives. Many people, myself included, have a college degree that is not meant for the career we ultimately wound up with.

I wish I had gotten a degree in Marketing, or Business. It would have suited me better. Oh well.

When I was 15, I really wanted to be a cop. I still really wish I had done that, in spite of my dad threatening to disown me if I chose that route. Sometimes, we know ourselves that which we ought to be, and others tell us it isn't a good idea. But life is short, you should do what you WANT to do. Money will not always follow, but happiness is better than money. Money IS nice though! :lol:

Not sure what advice I would give you - but do pursue everything in life - you may or may not stay in Biology or cooking as a career, but it will likely always be an interest you have.

Franco

Thanks a lot Grey, that really meant something to me. I like it when people tell me that stuff because my mom never does. My sister attends Fordham and she's going to Fordham Law when she graduates. She has dated a boy for 3 years now and he is filthy loaded, his dad makes 3 mil a year. So I always get yelled at because of my terrible study habbits. I mean of course it's my fault that I'm doing poorly but it didn't help that at a young age I felt I was being told I'm stupid.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Hey Franco, I just finished my degree in biology. Try going to a community college first as they tend to accept people with lower GPA's and that sort of learning environment is better for first and second year anyway. And I can almost garauntee that your GPA will rise once you get to college as most people there are there learn and you don't get goofs (at least when you do they are usually shunned away from the class) in class that disrupt your learning.

Keep in mind that you should spend 2 hours outside of class studying for every hour in class.

PM and and send me your email address and I can email you a tonne of good study techniques that will increase the GPA garaunteed.

Biology is a huge subject and there are tonnes of different directions you can take in the subject. FYI Cooking is more chemistry than it is biology.

Oh and at community colleges (at least in Canada) you can retake the classes that you didn't do so well on in highschool. I redid chemistry and aced it after barely passing it in highschool.

aqh88
Cool Member

Junior high and high schools always push you to make a decisions but alot of people don't even know what they want to do until they get done with a year of college. In fact I don't know anyone that is now doing the job they chose in high school. If you can narrow it down to at least a few choices then start at a community college and take a variety of classes in those areas. Once you've picked one you can decide what college you really want to go to and so long as you didn't slack off you should have some college credit and at least moderately good grades to improve your chances of getting into a bigger university.
That's pretty much what I did only I'm staying at the community college for a 2year degree in horse science. My boyfriend started at the same college taking various computer classes and now decided he wants to go to the university for a specific 4year computer degree. My mom started at a community college for teaching, finished a degree at the university, then found she couldn't really get a job, and went back to school for accounting. She now manages apartment properties for people and makes about 10times as much money. Which makes her happy since she seems to value money more than I do. Don't let people try to make you decide now. Take your time and then do what you really want to. You have to live with your decision for possibly the rest of your life so don't rush it.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”