Greywolf

Yellow flowers, just north of Memphis TN - are they wild?

I have no idea, but I see them all around edging woods, in yards, and so on. They almost look too nice to be a wildflower, but it's very possible.

I'd just like to know what they are called...

[img]https://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj10/FTE_Greywolf/Yellaflowers.jpg[/img]

They start out looking very much like wild green onions, but then they bloom as you see!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The picture isn't totally clear, but it looks like daffodils...

Daffodils are not native, but they naturalize easily. I have them coming up (without any help from me) on my hillside, which I am trying to do as a native woodland shade plants garden. They don't belong there, but it is hard for me to motivate myself to get rid of them; I love the cheerful yellow in spring.

Greywolf

Sounds reasonable. When I say they are all around here - I mean you can see them in odd places for five miles or more in each direction...

If they're not native, at some time or other they must have been extremely popular :D

tomf
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:The picture isn't totally clear, but it looks like daffodils...

Daffodils are not native, but they naturalize easily. I have them coming up (without any help from me) on my hillside, which I am trying to do as a native woodland shade plants garden. They don't belong there, but it is hard for me to motivate myself to get rid of them; I love the cheerful yellow in spring.
Yes they look like daffodils so I would say rainbow is right.

applestar
Mod

The fact that out of all the spring flowering bulbs, daffodils readily multiply and spread (naturalize) with minimal care, are shade and sun tolerant, most animals don't eat them, unlike tulips (bulbs and leaves), crocuses (leaves and flowers) adds up to every daffodil ever planted continuing to grow in the same location. :wink: About the only way to kill them is to drown them, but they'll grow in clay soil too.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Indeed daffodils naturalized! These sometimes are indications a previous dwelling/yard.
It is interesting to see other 'domestic' plants in fields and abandoned areas (roses, iris come to mind.) Other areas have stonewalls in the middle of no-where, such as New England. Not here in the Delta where there are No Rocks!

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Susan W wrote:Indeed daffodils naturalized! These sometimes are indications a previous dwelling/yard.
It is interesting to see other 'domestic' plants in fields and abandoned areas (roses, iris come to mind.) Other areas have stonewalls in the middle of no-where, such as New England. Not here in the Delta where there are No Rocks!
I remeber walking through the woods in NE and finding stone walls old farm house foundations and grave yards.

Greywolf

I used to hike a lot, what Susan says stirs many old memories.

-Old bridges made of rocks over creek beds, pieces of old dirt roads that begin and end in the middle of the woods, remains of old cellars and foundations, even an occasional dilapidated house out in the middle of no-where that make me wonder who was once here and how they lived.

Mysteries shrouded in the fog of time itself...

And if we notice them yes: Fruit trees, and the remnants of once upon a time plantings that are no longer tended

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”