amyshizzle

Weed killer?

So I started pulling the weeds today, but there are soooo many weeds. The area I want to plant my flowers and such has little tiny weeds and grasses that aren't really going to be easy to get their roots out. Is it bad to use a chemical weed killer? My dad usually kills weeds that way but if I'm going to be planting things I don't want the weed killer to mess anything up. Also, along my house in the dog run (where I will have my vegetable garden) there are weeds that are hard to get and one time I had a bad experience with a black widow and I know black widows arent out right now but I still have a fear of getting bit. I wanted to spray the weeds along my house. I wouldnt be planting my veggies in the soil in the dog run though, as its very rocky and has glass in it. Would a chemical weed killer harm the soil that I would be planting my plants in making my plants not grow or could I go ahead and spray the hard to reach areas?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Chemical weed killer => ground => dog paws => dogs lick => into dog digestive system

Perhaps not what you want the dogs to eat?

For tap-rooted weeds, I like to use a tool I call a "weed stick." It doesn't seem to have any specific name, but others have told me it's a dandelion weeder, an asparagus knife, and a few other oddball names. It's basically a rod approx. 12" long beyond the grip with a slightly bifurcated end. You put it into the ground as deep as you need to, wiggle it around, and it usually pulls the taproot free enough for you to pull up the whole thing. :D

Otherwise, boiling water will kill weeds and grasses. Unfortunately, if you apply it to earth vs. pavement, it will also boil earthworms....

Kitchen vinegar, undiluted, can also kill plants, as can horticultural strength vinegar. I haven't used anything beyond the weed stick and boiling water, so I don't know where to purchase it, but a phone call or visit to an independent garden-supply store should produce all kinds of information!

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

amyshizzle

oohh yeah and my dogs like to eat grass and well......anything really....lol so I guess chemical is really a horrible choice! Where can I get that stick? It sounds extremely helpful! haha

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If your space is big enough, you can till all the weeds in, other wise just hoe them up. Or you can lay down clear plastic over the area, buried all around the edge to keep it tight. Over a period of a few sunny weeks, that will "solarize" the area, cook the weeds (also probably the earthworms, unfortunately). Or you can lay down cardboard or thick layers of newspaper over the area, including weeds, wet it all down and then put topsoil on top of that and plant into it; it will smother the weeds. Or you can build those raised beds you were talking about else where. Don't worry about the weeds, put the bed down with cardboard in the bottom of it to suppress the weeds and fill the bed.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

The weed stick isn't a rare tool; I've seen it at hardware stores and gardening supply stores.

Cynthia

amyshizzle

Okay cool! Thanks! =)

Swivel

Food grade vinegar works pretty good, but multiple applications are needed as it only kills the foliage and it seems to work best in full hot sun. I use it to keep the grass from reaching my garden fence. That cardboard idea is really great! I would go with that. I'm GONNA USE IT!!

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”