amyshizzle

Vegan/Humane Gardening Gloves?

I have some gardening gloves that I bought yesterday at walmart for about 3 bux and I was out pulling weeds today with them on and they kind of chafe my hands. I didnt want to buy leather or goat skin gloves because, well thats just sad. Killing a cow or goat for gloves? But anyway thats not my point. I just wanted to know if anyone knew where to get humane or vegan gardening gloves?

Thanks a bunch!

-Amy

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Mine are made of canvas. They're inexpensive and common in the stores in my area. I'm sure they must be available at places like Home Depot and Lowe's.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

applestar
Mod

I use all different kinds of gloves depending on what I'm doing. I have canvas and cotton knit ones for just casual weeding or keeping dirt away, I use dipped canvas for wet conditions and nyplex (I think) kitchen gloves for plunge into wet conditions and for avoiding cactus thorns. I admit I have leather gloves for rough work and bigger thorns, though I've been considering trying puncture-proof nitrile or kevlar gloves. I also use latex "surgeons" gloves for delicate handling.

More often than not, though, despite my "collection" of gloves, I find myself with dirt under the fingernails and weed-stained fingers before remembering that I'd tucked a pair in my back pocket. :roll:

amyshizzle

lol yeah I know im probably going to end up with a collection of gloves too. I will try to find some gloves soon though. I really don't like those walmart gloves.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I used my cotton gloves just today, to prevent blisters from the shovel handle, I was unloading a truck load of dirt. My hands stayed so clean, and no blisters.
So, I came in and transplanted a few plants, and then the mail arrived and new seeds to start. Where is that nail brush? I simply haven't figured out how to do delicate transplanting, and sowing with gloves on. Oh well, my green thumb clashes with manicures anyhow! :lol:
Talk to your plants.... If your plants talk to you... Run!

amyshizzle

lol, I only really want gloves for pulling big weeds out. When I start planting I probably wont use gloves because i like the feel of soil. Im weird I know haha. Oh and Ozark Lady, I love your signature "Talk to your plants....If your plants talk to you....RUN!" hahaha

tomf
Super Green Thumb

kevlar gloves.

joshbuchan

cheap gloves are not good and like u say rub your hands, they don't kill the cow or goat just to make the gloves, they kill it for the meat then use the skin to make them in stead of chucking it away, so in buying gloves that are made from skin u are acturly wasteing less of the animal which in my books is the only way u can pay your full respect back to the animal after killing it.

anyways i don't know a great deal about gloves, i don't use them, evan when pulling the stingers :shock:
25 Chickens ^^
Zone 9

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

About my signature, my hubby is a sci-fi freak, he always is watching crazy shows, and as I was looking for a signature, a big plant was chasing folks to eat them. ha ha

I think something like Invasion of the body snatchers was on? ha ha
Talk to your plants.... If your plants talk to you... Run!

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

joshbuchan wrote:cheap gloves are not good and like u say rub your hands, they don't kill the cow or goat just to make the gloves, they kill it for the meat then use the skin to make them in stead of chucking it away, so in buying gloves that are made from skin u are acturly wasteing less of the animal which in my books is the only way u can pay your full respect back to the animal after killing it.
I have to agree with this. Using leather gloves isn't a bad thing. I believe what the Native Americans believe, if you kill an animal you should use every part and not waste anything. Killing an animal for food isn't sad either, it's life. If you remove all the carnivores, and herbivore population will overgrow and cause a mass extinction. Carnivores are needed for a balance in nature. Besides, cows are 100% dependent on humans no, and can never return to being wild animals, they'd go extinct rather fast.
Home Gardener from Austin, TX; by way of Iowa.

rootsy
Green Thumb

Glove manufacturing is waaaaay down the list of reasons to butcher a steer or a cow that is past her milking / reproductive usefulness...

amyshizzle

Well im not going to get into the discussion about killing animals for whatever reason. I just wanted to know where to get some good gloves that werent leather. But thanks guys! =)

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I found the kind of gloves I love at a chain saw store, one of the names on one of them is Atlas Therma Fit. They are a cloth glove with a rubber coating on the palms.

webmaster
Site Admin

I agree with amyshizzle, we all have our personal opinions about leather, but this is not the thread to discuss that. This discussion is limited to discussion of vegan-friendly gloves. Let's please try to stay on topic. Thanks. 8)

Getting back to the topic, The Helpful Gardener, Scott, has written an article about [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/tips/03/gardening-gloves.html]gardening gloves[/url] in the main section of the website. Among other gloves, he recommends one that is a spandex/lycra composite sold by a company called Foxgloves. Scott makes recommendations for a variety of gardening situations. It's worth a read.

amyshizzle

Cool thanks! Ill have a look at that! =)

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”