Quirky

planting flower bulbs in the spring?

So, I ordered a whole bunch of daffodil and crocus bulbs and wasn't able to get them in the ground last fall due to a whole lot of issues converging.....I contacted the company I bought them from and the customer service person basically said to pitch them as they're useless at this point.

Is that true? I know that they won't bloom this spring if I plant them now, but is it worth the work to go ahead and plant them in hopes of them blooming in future years?

I just hate to throw them all in the compost bin or whatever....and my husband will be SO not happy with me for wasting the money!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

quirky,

How about planting them in 1 gallon nursery pots. I'd say maybe 3 bulbs each pot 4" deep. I wouldn't buy any potting soil, just use your compost. Plant them out later if they leaf out.

applestar
Mod

Last spring, I discovered some AGES old tulips bulbs in the garage. Still in the original net bag, chewed in the corner and 1/2 of them missing -- mice, judging by the poop. Shriveled up and very sorry looking.

Rather than throwing them out, I planted them in less featured spaces. A few grew ... no flowers of course. This spring, there are rather large tulip leaves growing so who knows, maybe we'll see some flowers.

That was tulip. Daffodils and crocus usually naturalize -- i.e. increase in numbers and spread -- so there's a far greater chance of success. I wouldn't THROW them away. Just don't count on them, especially this year, and call yourself lucky if they make a come-back. :wink:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Where have you been storing them since then? They need to be chilled. If they have been in cold storage, you could as suggested try planting them now anyway. If they have not been in cold storage, I would put them in a paper bag in the refrigerator until fall and plant them this fall.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

Quirky

They've been in our unheated basement, which is mostly underground and stays pretty chilly.

They still feel firm, so I don't think they've rotted or gone to mush -- I may need to hire someone to help me get them all in though! :P

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”