Decado
Green Thumb

Plant Windows

I was wondering what an average 3x4 or 2.5x3.5 or whatever plant window would cost. I'm thinking about putting one of these in but I have no idea how much these cost or even what the technical term is for them to search for them.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Google greenhouse window and you'll find a ton of sites. I didn't check any prices, but about 10 or 15 years ago, I priced one for my kitchen. It was going to be quite expensive, but the window is 10' long x 5' high.

I didn't have the money back then, but now that you've reminded me, I may have one installed this year. :D

(Especially since my neighbor to the south is, at this very moment, putting a second story on his garage, which is 5' from our mutual property line. The building will effectively block the best plant window I have. :cry: :cry: :cry: )
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

applestar
Mod

It's also called "garden window"
I want one -- well actually 3! :D :wink:

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Kisal wrote:Google greenhouse window and you'll find a ton of sites. I didn't check any prices, but about 10 or 15 years ago, I priced one for my kitchen. It was going to be quite expensive, but the window is 10' long x 5' high.

I didn't have the money back then, but now that you've reminded me, I may have one installed this year. :D

(Especially since my neighbor to the south is, at this very moment, putting a second story on his garage, which is 5' from our mutual property line. The building will effectively block the best plant window I have. :cry: :cry: :cry: )
What are the permit requirements in your jurisdiction (county / city)? Some jurisdictions require height limits within X feet of a property line, etc. DH and I were able to have a neighbor's project scaled back some years ago (5-foot lot line there, too) when he was going to build a 2-story building 10 feet from our house. He violated the % development limit on lots with his square footage--something the Planning Commission had (somehow?) overlooked.

We would never have known about this % limit if I hadn't requested my own copy of the building permit requirements. They were a !@#$%^ to read through, even for me (used to tedious reading as I am..., due to my work), but they saved the day. Or at least part of it....

Good luck.

And to the OP: do you mean greenhouse windows? Or are these cold-frame windows?

https://www.bbg.org/gar2/topics/sustainable/2009fa_coldframe.html

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”