tru2pru

An UGLY fence line needs some help

[img]https://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae280/tru2pru/Ugly%20Fence%20line/NationalHarbor046.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae280/tru2pru/Ugly%20Fence%20line/NationalHarbor045.jpg[/img]

This is the fence line in the back of my yard (easily the most neglected part of my 2 acres). It is in desperate need of some TLC and I have no idea where to start. We have a back hoe and dump truck at our disposal, but price is important, free is optimal :wink:. Any ideas?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Give us a couple more starting points... What would you like to do with it? Just hide the fence like with vines or shrubs? It looks like there's play toys there, you want to make a play space? With two acres (lucky you!) you probably have plenty of sunnier garden space elsewhere. Did you have in mind growing anything? How far is this from your house (ie. are you likely to be able to take care of anything you put there or should it be plant and forget)? Is it space you want to be able to use in any particular way (I.e. seating area, picnic table, fire pit....) ?

tru2pru

rainbowgardener wrote:Give us a couple more starting points... What would you like to do with it? Just hide the fence like with vines or shrubs? It looks like there's play toys there, you want to make a play space? With two acres (lucky you!) you probably have plenty of sunnier garden space elsewhere. Did you have in mind growing anything? How far is this from your house (ie. are you likely to be able to take care of anything you put there or should it be plant and forget)? Is it space you want to be able to use in any particular way (I.e. seating area, picnic table, fire pit....) ?
The toys just end up there as a result of not being played with and then put there when mowing needs done. The fire pit and picnic table are in the front yard, so that's not an option. It used to have a greenhouse there, but that has been long gone and the only remnants are pieces of broken glass, so that takes the play area out of the picture too. I would like to just put up another fence (we have a ton of chain link that was given to us). I just hate the look of chain link and don't know what I could put to cover it that would A: cover the ENTIRE fence quickly, B: be safe for my kids/animals to play around (nothing with thorns or poisonous), and C: can be planted, then left alone since I have enough going on in my front yard to take care of. I recently pulled/dug up about 20 Rose of Sharon saplings/bushes and I am planning on sticking them back there since I can't see just throwing them away (they would be between the two fence lines). I was thinking about doing honeysuckle on the fence, but I have mixed feelings about it since I don't want it taking over everything. Cost is another big issue. I would love to find something that I could either easily transplant (there's a lot of honeysuckle around, which is how I know it takes over :wink: ), or that is really cheap since I need enough to cover about 80 feet of fence line.

tru2pru

[img]https://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae280/tru2pru/details.jpg[/img]

Here is a pic of my backyard with details about the area in concern. I think I have talked my hubby into just puttling up another fence and letting the critters keep their homes in all of the rubble between them (no worries, the back fence has PLENTY of critter sized holes in it so they can get in and out easily). Now comes the daunting task of finding something that will cover the fence without taking over the trees in the background. There will be about 8 feet between the new fence and the old one, but there will be no way of cleaning up the area (other than with herbicides and that's not an option since were on well water). I have considered blue moon wisteria, bignonia, or various native types of lonicera, but all have the tendency to spread uncontrollably if not kept in check.

applestar
Mod

How about a hedge row of native plants in the in-between space?
This looks like a good resource: https://kanawhagardenclub.homestead.com/ConservationMain.html

Here in NJ, native plant selection is very similar to Virginia, and I've been researching my local plant communities, associations, and succession. I've mostly selected edible-for-people native plants mixed with domesticated and cultivated species in edible landscaping, and other native plants to create habitats for attracting birds and butterflies.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”