rsalvese
Newly Registered

How to Lay Out a Vegetable Garden?

I want to plant my first vegetable garden this spring but do not know how to lay it out. I would like to include asparagus, bush beans, carrots, cucumbers, onions, peas, peppers, zucchini, tomatoes, rhubarb, muskmelon, and watermelons. I understand how to space them but I don't know what should be planted next to each other. Can any one help me lay out my garden?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You have to give us a few more clues first, especially how much space you have and is it all in full sun?

It's a mixed bag there. To start with the asparagus and rhubarb are perennials, they don't move. Where ever you plant them is where they are going to stay (unlike the annual crops which it is good to rotate year to year so they aren't planted in the same place all the time). So I have a separate bed for them. The asparagus especially does not like its roots disturbed, so I don't plant anything else in with them.

The carrots, onions, peas are early, cool weather crops which can be planted "as soon as the soil can be worked" (when it is unfrozen and dried out enough to not clump up). Here in southern Ohio, that means the seeds of those are planted already. The peas especially will be done by the time it is getting hot. So then you can plant the muskmelon and watermelon, which don't go in the ground until the soil has warmed up well, in the space where the peas were. You do know that the melons take up a LOT of space? Do you have plenty of ground for them?

Are you doing the peppers and tomatoes from seed or buying plants?
If from seed, you want to plant them now indoors in pots under lights. Peppers especially are slow to sprout and grow, so it is time to get them started.

Hopefully that gives you a little bit to get started with and if you tell us more about your space and conditions, we will try to give you a few more thoughts.

Tigerlilylynn
Cool Member

Tagging off of RBG the peppers will want some bottom heat as well, they are generally more stubborn over soil temps.

Make sure you observe the sun changes in your garden and any angle issues for your climbers. Where I was thinking I'd put my corn as of last month is different now that the sun is back and I can see I'd have shadded out its neighboring plants. Unless I'm wrong (probable) rhubarb is the only partial shade tolerant annual on the list so that one will be a bit more flexible (though, if it acts like swiss chard, it can winter over).

Also, you'll want to take precautions with your various melons if you intend to save seeds.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Rhubarb does do better in part shade than full sun, but as I said it is perennial not annual.

Tigerlilylynn
Cool Member

Comprehension skills FTL

rsalvese
Newly Registered

Thanks for your input. I have an area that is about 20 ft x 30 ft in the full sun.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”