MamaGeek
Newly Registered

soil problem - fungus-related?

I have a soil problem in one section of my front garden bed. Most of the garden has beautiful organic-rich soil that the worms seem to love. One section, however, has this aweful dried-out white powdery soil that is highly susceptible to erosion, and kills, or prevents blooming of, any plants growing in it.

The only cause I could detect is a series of mushrooms that grow there every year in the summer-time, especially when it's wet. In previous years I didn't suspect they were the cause, so I just kicked the mushrooms over. I began to see a spread of the bad soil, however, where the mushrooms were most prolific, and so I think I need to do something about it.

First, is anyone familiar with this problem? Do you know if the mushrooms are the cause? If so, how can I get rid of them?

Second, does anyone know how I can revive the damaged soil?

Thanks!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Well, mushrooms are just the fruiting bodies of a fungus that is growing in your soil. Kicking them over, just aids in the spreading of the fungal spores. I'm guessing that the white stuff that you see are mats of fungal mycellia (cells).

Though, I generally don't recommend using products like copper sulphate and Sulphur, off the top of my head, this would be the way to ammend this problem.

However, I will give you caution into using small amounts of these products and to use a lot of compost

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”