acjlmom

How to get rid of poison ivy and poison oak?

About a month ago, I took out two overgrown half dead bushes in an area in our yard. This is a circuluar patch and we have three large aok trees there as well.

THere is poison ivy and oak growing like crazy there. I want to plant some bulbs and other things there, but well, I'm staying far far away right now.

What is the best way to rid the area of all of the poison ivy and oak? I've seen some recipies of a salt/vinegar/dish soap, but also read that the salt would make it impossible to grow anything else there for some time.

It's difficult for me to pull the ivy/oak out myself because I have 4 children that run around outside constantly. I can't get them to leave me be for enough time to actually get in there and pull things out. Plus I really don't want to run the risk of getting it myself, and then passing it on to my children.

Help?

garden_mom

[url]https://www.organicgardening.com/feature/0,7518,s1-2-11-1194-3-1X2-3,00.html[/url]

Here is a little info. I read of a woman who said she dressed head to toe, put garbage bags over her arms, pulled it out by the roots and bagged it, and then stripped in the laundry room and washed the clothes immediately in hot water and washed herself with poisen ivy soap. Sounds like a lot, but definitely better than buying a goat! haha

meesh
Cool Member

We have an article in the Oregonian today about global warming and poison ivy. It says that poison ivy can grow 149% faster in a high carbon dioxide area and it can produce 153% more urushiol(the itchy stuff) leaf for leaf. This is scary, no?

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”