applestar
Mod

SPRING TRAINING HAS BEGUN !!

Warm up: Walking inspection tour of the garden, then shift and fluff compost pile #2 to combine with compost pile #1,

1) Medium/Repetition workout: fill the wheelbarrow only 1/2 full of composted leaves
Follow by pushing/pulling the wheelbarrow through 8~10 inches snow to the sunny warm spot where the snow has melted to bare ground.
Spread the composted leaves for sheet mulching over paper and cardboard.
Return the wheelbarrow to leaf pile.

Repeat 3 more times.

2) Light workout: Set up row tunnels and small greenhouse covers in various areas of the garden to warm up the soil.

3) Heavy lifting/cardio: Lug a full wet bag of sand from behind the shed to the patio.

4) Finish up with light meditative exercise: Mix up seedling soil mix. Prep and fill containers and flats for seed starting.

... somehow, turning the compost pile, or pulling the wheelbarrow (easier than pushing) -- even through 8 inches of heavy slushy snow, OR moving a bag of wet sand did not seem as difficult back in fall. :roll: I guess I really need to work off the Winter flab. :oops:

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I have daffodils, hyacinths, snowdrops, and camellias in full bloom. :D
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

That sounds like a great workout! All I did was walk around and look at things. Snowdrops are the only thing blooming, but daffodils, hyacinths, crocuses, tulips, daylilies, grape hyacinth all have varying heights of greenery sprouted.

applestar
Mod

I am hurting today! :oops: :roll:
Don't let this happen to YOU. Hustle out there and turn that compost pile. No pain, no gain. :lol: :wink:

p.s. My daffodils are starting to show some green too in the warmest areas of the garden. Still lots of snow though.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Sounds good Applestar, sorry you are hurting. Hopefully the snow will go away soon. I put in about 8 hours yesterday raking up some of my ornamental grass that was on the ground and putting that in the garden than adding a BUNCH of compost. And got a new bed ready on the other side of my yard.

It's spring in my mind and that all that matters.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”