SUNFLOWER LOVER
Newly Registered

Need help with my sunflower

:( can someone please help. My 4 year old daughter planted a sunflower in school and gave it to me at a mothers day tea party. I went to transplant it outside and the stem broke in half. Is this the end of this sunflower or will it continue to grow and bloom more leaves and a new head?

Grey
Greener Thumb

It's usually the end, unfortunately :(

The other sad part about sunflowers is they seem to resent being transplanted. They grow so nice and fast though - I'd go get some seeds and plant a bunch of them with her. :) Sunflowers are the best.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

On the plus side, sunflowers grow really quickly so, if you and your daughter plant some more seeds, you will soon have new sunflowers. :)

SUNFLOWER LOVER
Newly Registered

Thank you for all the information. My daughter and I did plant a whole bunch of seeds together, about 36 of them :lol: We started a flowerbed behind out house and she is very protective of it. When she sees any birds in it, she chases them out yelling, "Hey, get out of there. :lol:
Thank you again

Grey
Greener Thumb

Awwww.

If I had kids, I think it would be so fun to have a garden with them :)

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Let your daughter know that once the plants are up, birds are a good thing because they will eat any insects that may eat your plants.

Kids are gardening are a great thing. My step cousin loves wandering through my garden (he's 4) and watching all the insects doing their thing. Not to mention the birds digging up and eating all the grubs. And, everything in my garden is edible so, he loves muching on all the good stuff.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”