The Helpful Gardener
Mod

New England Grows 2010

I attended the big industry trade show in Boston this week; anybody else attend? Feedback? Cool finds? Great lectures?

I went Friday only, but caught Larry Weaner's lecture on ecological restoration. Larry has become a meadow guru, but his work goes far beyond that and he talked about understanding natural succession and using it to advantage in the garden. Felt like I was listening to a smarter version of myself; I feel that pros lilke Larry prove we are on the right track here (little dissappointed to hear he is still using Round-Up, but not on all jobs and he did say the other way works, just takes longer. Great stuff.

What did you see?

HG

Pineville

I didn't attend the show, but I have heard Larry speak at several seminars. It is fascinating listening to his knowledge on meadows.

He co-sponsors an annual seminar here in PA and in CT:

https://www.business-services.upenn.edu/arboretum/pdf/MAWinterSymposium2010_wLACES.pdf

I've attended quite a few of these and find the two days to be enlightening.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Larry mentioned that in his talk and I hope to attend the Conn College part of the event. Far more than just meadows in Larry's repetoire; he just gets how Nature rolls. I aspire to his level of knowledge...

Your state made quite an impression on me; one of my other great finds was Moss Shakes, a milk carton containing spores that you add milk to and pour out wherever you want a moss garden. Inspired new technique and product from Moss Acres in Stanhope, not too far from you, right?

HG

Pineville

Yes, Moss Acres isn't too far- agree very cool. You gotta love moss! The founder, David Benner, really helped to educate gardeners about moss, and convince us all that moss doesn't need to be eradicated from our gardens. He was once a horticulture professor at Delaware Valley College in Doylestown, PA- his lectures were inspiring.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”