fluff
Newly Registered

Watering >>

HI
i wonder if any of you can help please
I only have a tiny garden space
I have bought one of those ""mini greenhouses""
i would like to start some plug plants off in there in May for the summer
But >> we always go away for 2 wks in May and i was wondering if anyone could help with regards to watering please
I haven,t anyone who could do this for me>> and unless there is way round it i will not be able to start any plants off
hopefully someone has some ideas
Thank you
Kathy

applestar
Mod

Have you ever seen a self-watering tray? It's a waterproof tray with a raised "shelf" over which a synthetic felt material is laid and draped sown into the tray. The tray is filled with water and wicks moisture up to the top surface. You put your pots or seed trays on top and the idea is that the soil in the pot will wick moisture up as needed.

A lot of them come *with* seed growing trays, but you can buy them individually as well. You can also google search for DIY versions. (I suspect commercial versions won't sustain your plants for 2 wks, so you might want to go ahead and try to make a larger reservoir unit)

You can also try to adapt house plant self waterers, though with seedlings the bottom watering mat version would probably be gentler.... Whatever you use, test and make sure it works before you go away. I had a commercial version of the seed tray waterer that didn't work right until I realized I'd set it up wrong.

Oh, come to think of it, I just saw a version of the self-watering tray in a catalog that is intended for use with grow bags. Much bigger reservoir.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

drip irrigation system on a timer?

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:drip irrigation system on a timer?
That's what I was thinking
Home Gardener from Austin, TX; by way of Iowa.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Another vote for the drip irrigation system. :)
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

applestar
Mod

Yeah, but fluff said "plug plants" -- I thought that meant one of those seed starter plugs... and I assumed the "mini green house" meant about the size of 1/2 a flat, so drip irrigation seems a bit overboard?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Right... sorry, I had an entirely different picture of mini-greenhouse in my mind. Yup, overkill...

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”