gemtreepark minis
Newly Registered

Hello all I have a very nice garden I have put hours of work into it. my daughter has a cat now and he is braking all my plants he jumps on them and swipes them he has totally ruined my ferns, is there some thing I can buy (apart from a bullet ) :lol: that will stop him..
karen

my_secret_garden
Cool Member

Why is the cat outside?

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Ground black pepper seems to work well for repelling mammalian pests. Another option is using those small 1-3 foot fences.

I personally believe that cats should be alowed to go outside because they are then enabled to get fresh air, frolick in the open, hunt and do all the things that are inherent in the instincts of the species. So, even though it is often advertized that it is healthier for people to keep their cats inside, I personally believe that it is healthier to allow the cat to go outside.

Of course, the flip side of the coin is that cats reek havoc on local bird populations in some areas and in certain countries and areas it has been necessary to disallow cats from being kept outside.

my_secret_garden
Cool Member

I'd love to let my cats outside but I don't want them getting fleas. Also, my youngest cat used to be allowed to go outside and she would bring in mice and BIRDS and snakes and then play with them or kill them in the house. After a couple of times finding dead mice and snakes and then seeing a baby bird in my house freaking out and trying to get out, I decided I couldn't deal with that and now my cats are shut-ins.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Sounds like just cause to keep your cats inside :wink: . Yikes! My cats have never really brought more than a dead mole into the house.

stantheman
Newly Registered

I think our cat would LIKE to wreak havok on our garden, because he sits in the window staring at it a lot, lol. Maybe he's just sitting where she can get the most sun, but I sometimes think that if he could- he'd tear that garden apart. Yet another reason why I'm glad he's an indoor cat.

Fermented

Hmmmm....... never had problems with outdoor cats. I've heard of cats liking Cat Grass. Our local nursery sells it. Plant it away from your garden and create a place for the kitty to play, and pepper your garden as posted earlier.

cottongin

my_secret_garden wrote:I'd love to let my cats outside but I don't want them getting fleas. Also, my youngest cat used to be allowed to go outside and she would bring in mice and BIRDS and snakes and then play with them or kill them in the house. After a couple of times finding dead mice and snakes and then seeing a baby bird in my house freaking out and trying to get out, I decided I couldn't deal with that and now my cats are shut-ins.
Yikes! I can't deal with that stuff. It's too Animal Kingdom for me. My cats stay inside!

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”