trying2findmygreenthumb

Ground cover ideas

Hi, I'd like to get some ideas from everyone as to what to use for ground covers. The areas that separate each other is dirt. I'd like to place something there more appealing to the eye. Any ideas? I've seen pic's of hay or straw, or wood chips. Love those. What are the thoughts on that?
Any help is great, thanks for your time. :wink:

trying2findmygreenthumb

Mulch type stuff.

trying2findmygreenthumb

Ah, yes, rodents. I never think of them, but I should. I saw some cedar mulch bark at the garden supply store, small bits of bark. Quite decorative. I think I'll try those out. I love your website. We have an Australorp too. She's the best.
Thanks, Happy Gardening!

MysticGardener67

AGAIN! imagine that. LOL

I can't stand the 'chunk' mulches, like stuff sold as 'pine bark nuggets' They seem way out of scale for most uses and they do have the annoying tendency to 'float off' during heavy rains. BUT they do not decompose as rapidly as shredded or chip products.The only real purpose I would use them for is perhaps in a commercial application where the beds are flat and edged in such a way as to contain the 'chunks'.

I don't like the colored or died products, either. They are unnatural to me. ANd I really don't like how the color fades and bleeds. Do we have any idea what those colorants are?

Shredded cypress is the bargain basment mulch, at least here in the southeast. Doesn't look too terrible. Depending where and when you shop, I have seen it as low as a dollar a bag. I sed it in my mother's garden for years until 'economy of scale' kicked in and I had to start using bulk hardwood mulch.

I used shredded cedar mulch this year in the border in front of our duplex this year. wife and I figgured that with such a small gardening space, total cost wasn't that big an issue. it looks nice, smells great when fresh. A little splintery for my barefoot gardening style, but then again, so are the Junipers that came with the place LOL!

In my area and if there aren't any dogs involved, has been 'cocoa husks' Very expensive, only sporadically available and at only one gardencenter in the entire metro area but it smells NUMMY!

So are these areas more like paths?

trying2findmygreenthumb

Yes, paths as well as separating different areas of the yard.
I don't like the big barks either, but wondering what would look nice.
I live in a very rural area, so it's hard to find gardening stuff that is not high end.

MysticGardener67

Great thing about gardening, everything looks good in it's own way. If costs are an issue, then perhaps it is time to do a little 'sideways thinking' . What is a resource that the locals are happy to have taken away for cheap or for free that will do the same thing.

Also, bulk goods are always less expensive per cubic foot than bagged goods.

I have said this before, but I feel it always holds true:

All projects are a combination of cost, quality and time.
you can have any two at the expense of the third

If you want nice and now is going to be expensive

If you want it cheap and now, it is not going to look nice

If you want it cheap and nice, then it will take time.

HAve you considered gravel?

trying2findmygreenthumb

Maybe the small pebbles for ground cover. I'd like for it be be easy to walk on. Good idea. Thank you.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”