applestar
Mod

Misting -- winter indoor container plant care

In the threads discussing how to keep rosemary alive indoors during the winter, I've noticed that *I*m recommending daily misting and watering, while others are fighting powdery mildew and other fungal issues with the 10% milk solution.

I'm also finding that misting the other container plants first thing in the morning and last thing at night until they're almost dripping wet is keeping them much happier. It's not always helping with aphids (I spray those with mildly soapy water) but it's certainly keeping the red spider mites away.

I'm guessing that the forced hot air central heating in my house causing the relative humidity to plummet to less than 45% (sometimes even 40% or below) during the winter months is the most likely factor here. The colder it gets, the harder the system works, and the drier the air gets.

As mentioned elsewhere, so far, my rosemary plants are doing well (2 out of 3 of them are even starting to flower, which is exciting because I've never seen them flower before :cool: ), and the 2 bell peppers plants that I dug up and potted to bring inside, as well as the Jalapeno in a container, are starting to flower and I'm cautiously optimistic that they might actually fruit.... :D

serial_killer

I mist my plants a lot, my furnace causes the same thing but my grow room is in my basement where the furnace is and so its even worse, its under 20% RH all the time in my room.

I use mild soap and sometimes superthrive but not always. When I have seedlings under a dome I use mist with superthrive and since I only have 1 spray bottle all the plants get to enjoy it. Honestly I don't notice a difference with or without it.

Are you using lights or natural light?
USDA zone 5b, Sunset zone 35

applestar
Mod

My plants are crowding almost every usable window at the moment. It's really funny considering how I keep insisting I don't like to container garden. :lol:

Here's an example: The Jalapeno plant and the two sweet pepper plants, as well as the volunteer tomato (I know I didn't mention it before) that I HAD to see what would happen, are flowering on a bench by a 1st floor Southeast kitchen window. The windowsill itself is lined with a scented geranium, 3 pots of parsley, 2 pots citrus seedlings, a pot of hybrid sage cuttings, and a pot of onion bottoms. On the bench immediately below the windowsill where cold air would flow down are 2 pots of 2nd year citrus seedlings, a lime basil that is not liking the cold, the tomato, and large pot of Stavia plant. Along the front edge of the bench, away from the coldest draft are the 3 pots of peppers.

I have a clamp-on metal-hooded utility light fixture with a 100W equivalent CFL pointed at the bench on the end closest to the Jalapeno. The light is turned on in the morning and stays on until I go up to bed. The overhead kitchen table light is turned on at dusk as well. The Jalapeno has one red pepper left from the growing season and one green pepper that grew AFTER being brought inside, and a 1/2 grown green pepper that started growing just before Christmas, and has 5 more flowers and 6 more buds along the way. The one of the tomato flowers has managed to pollinate and there is a pea-sized green tomato on it right now, along with 3 more flowers in the cluster. And one of the sweet pepper plants is quite full of flowers ... let's see 7 open flowers, a couple of spent flowers (no sign of fruit so far) and another 1/2 dozen buds. I paint-brushed the flowers yesterday, in the hopes of helping them pollinate, so we'll see. The other sweet pepper is not doing so well (the leaves look a bit yellowish and limp) but it does have ~8 flower buds on it. I'll have to see if I can get it to perk up so it can manage to flower.

The three pots of rosemary are on a table in front of the 1st floor Southwest window -- no direct artificial lights, but it IS in the family room so, FWIW, lights go on at dusk and stay on until everyone goes to bed.

I have other more, tropical plants by the 2nd floor Southeast windows where it's a few degrees warmer. They also have clamp-on CFL's on them from morning until bed time to supplement the weak winter daylight. These aren't on timers so the lighting schedule is not set and isn't always turned on, but turning on/off the lights is part of my daily misting routine.

applestar
Mod

Here are some photos of my peppers, tomato, and onion bottoms. I'm thinking of separating and planting the red onions as transplants when it's time to plant them outside.

[img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/applesbucket/Image6270.jpg[/img] [img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/applesbucket/Image6268.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/applesbucket/Image6269.jpg[/img]

This......................................................... grew into this:
[img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/applesbucket/Image6245.jpg[/img] [img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/applesbucket/Image6271.jpg[/img]

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”