my_secret_garden
Cool Member

So... can anyone identify this?

This is what is growing underneath the tree in my backyard that I would like to get rid of. The only reason I want it gone is because I would like to cover the area with rocks. Here are a couple of pictures of the area and what is growing under it. Can anyone tell me what this is and maybe how to get rid of it?

The first picture is just showing how the tree is placed in the yard and what it looked like before I placed some of the landscaping bricks and rocks but AFTER I cleared out the yard.

[url]https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v705/thedustyattic/backyardtree.jpg[/url]

This picture just shows the sand and junk that my darling husband decided he needed to dump in this area and I had to remove.

[url]https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v705/thedustyattic/bedundertree.jpg[/url]

Here is a picture of same tree and how it looks now with the bricks and some of the rocks in the area. I didn't finish covering it because I wanted to look into removing what's growing down there first.

[url]https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v705/thedustyattic/thebackyardtree.jpg[/url]

And here is what is growing under the tree.

[url]https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v705/thedustyattic/weedsundertree.jpg[/url]

Grey
Greener Thumb

I'm just wondering - does the odd plant have a smell?

For some reason it minds me of peppermint. But the shape isn't quite right.

Your yard is as exciting as mine, in regards to moving stuff around & dealing with a blank slate! The tree is nice and I like your idea of landscaping it in there with the rock. And your yard is level, which also helps. :)

I actually like what is growing around the tree - it looks like daylilies and some kind of ground cover - can that be encouraged to fill the space, aside from your rocks (the bigger ones that I think I see near the tree, unless it's more sand). It has a zen-calming feel to it.

I'll post pictures of my yard this weekend probably. Then we can compare notes! ;)

jackal_man

from the looks of it they are lambsquarters, it is a weed, but at it's young stage which looks like it now in the last picture you can cut them a little before the ground wash them boil them and eat em as greens! :D i hate that plant mainly because it grows in my garden, i have toweed it before it grows into this...
[url=https://www.noble.org/Ag/Forage/Weeds2Forbs/Lambsquarters.jpg]hidious weed[/url]
not the best image but it gives you the idea of what it grows into it, if it is the plant, just google lambsquarters and you should be able to see they are/look the same :wink:

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Seconded! It is Lambsquarters. You can still use the vinegar like we previously discussed. You should get rid of it soon before it gets much larger as it gets very large, and has a brute of a root to pull out once it is big. :wink:

Val
VAL (Grandpa's Rose)

my_secret_garden
Cool Member

Lambsquarters, eh? Well, I tried making that vinegar solution and I sprayed it on the weeds last night but they look the same today. Shall I try again? Maybe I didn't spray enough.

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

You need to keep spraying it, probably every day, until you get on top of them. It's not an instant reaction thing. :wink:

Val
VAL (Grandpa's Rose)

my_secret_garden
Cool Member

Will do that, Val, thanks! I looked at it tonight and it looked better already. I will spray again tomorrow. :)

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

No worries! Just keep up the attack, it will give in! :wink:

Val
VAL (Grandpa's Rose)

my_secret_garden
Cool Member

I sprayed again today and they are already shriveling up. It is amazing how it worked. I don't dare get that near any of my plants or grass judging by the way it is destroying the weeds.

By the way, I will have to post some new pictures tomorrow when I get done planting my lilac bush. I took the rocks from the front yard and transplanted them in the back yard into a new flower bed and it looks really cool, I think. I ran out of extra junk bricks though, so I may have to *gasp* go out and buy some!

Grey
Greener Thumb

That's great!

I plan to take photos tonight too - I FINALLY will be putting my tomatoes, eggplant, and herbs into a bed TONIGHT. Yay!!!

And I'm busy with the vinegar too. Poison Ivy turned up near my compost bin. EEK!

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”