Susan W
Greener Thumb

Any gardeners here from Houston TX?

I am asking if there any Houston gardeners here, and what to expect in climate. My kids who live there, just bought a house have invited me for Christmas for a few days. They also said they want to put in a small garden (hint-hint, Mom!). Knowing their lifestyle, very busy, and much 'higher' than mine, I am thinking they may want some herbs and a few flowers. Easy, and what they can't do in the yard will hire someone to mow, trim etc.

So question is, could I put in an herb garden in December? or better wait and visit in March or so? I fixed them large containers of herbs when they were in Mobile. Both easy to harvest, care for, and less chance of everything else taking over as when in the ground.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and tips.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Well, I've never actually been in Houston (my sister lived in Austin for awhile in case that counts :) ), but since no one else has responded--

Houston is zone 9a, with an average first frost date in mid-Nov and lows down to 20 degrees. Here's what Wikipedia says about Houston climate:

Winter
Winters in Houston are mild and fairly temperate. While the average high in January, the coldest month, is 61 ...°F (16 ...°C), Houston sees an average of 18 days per year of 32 ...°F (0 ...°C) temperatures or less.[15] The coldest temperature ever recorded in Houston was 5 ...°F (−15 ...°C) on January 23, 1930.
Throughout December, strong southward-moving cold fronts, called "blue northers," [16] batter the city with cold rain, low wind chills, freezing rain, and sometimes frozen precipitation. Early January is the coldest time of the year, with temperatures moderating by February.

So no, it doesn't sound like, even in Houston, December is a good month for planting anything. March would be good. Average last frost date there is mid-March.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Thanks for the tips on herb gardens in Houston. I may go at Christmas with another son from here and visit, play with the grand daughter (about 18 months) etc. Then go back Feb-March to do the herb garden. I think containers will be the way to go, and get them up from the ground. My son likes the 'industrial look' and had bought a couple of galvanized farm type tubs, punched drainage holes in them, and turned me loose to plant (when they were in Mobile). I like the look myself and may doing same for me herbs next season.
Another son, wife, baby just signed on a house here, not far from me, and the yard is a blank slate. Has grass, no beds etc. Looks like I have another project close to home! I'll do some, offer advise when asked, and pot up some herbs etc for them. That have been in an apartment, and son can't wait to put in a few tomato plants and other stuff for fresh home grown eats.

The Rose emporium in Houston sounds like a must do. Thanks for that tip.

HoustonGrows
Newly Registered

It's a good time to plant winter herbs in Houston: Dill, Fennel, Cilantro, Rosemary, etc.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Thanks Houston, and I did check the web site. For this project for the kids will do simple and containers. And get an idea of what he wants for cooking. Timing will be according to their schedule, and mine. Also when the herb starts can be found in the garden centers. They don't show up here until March-April (last frost mid April).
The house they bought is on Albans, near Rice. Before I go will get an idea of garden centers etc from you.

amyhouston
Newly Registered

Houston summer's are pretty brutal. There's high humidity and expect temps up to 100 degrees. Herbs are super easy to maintain and great for cooking. I have chives, spearmint, green onion, basil, rosemary, and garlic. In the summer I grow tomatoes, jalapenos, and bell peppers. Fruit trees are super easy too. We have pears, tangerines, and lemon trees.

Tate
Cool Member

The book "Year round vegetables, fruits, and flowers from metro Houston: A natural organic approach using ecology" by Dr. Bob Randall is my gardening bible. It will tell you everything you need to know about gardening in Houston. Also there is website https://www.urbanharvest.org that has a wealth of information for the Houston area. Bob Randall started the Urban Harvest organization. Good luck.

Tate

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”