SkyKero
Cool Member

Erosion control on creek with plants

I have a little creek --well sort of a creek--> it is the run-off from the pipes when it rains too much -- but I think it may have been a creek first.
This year it has rained A LOT(here in Atlanta) and it has eroded a lot.

I was told I could put some sort of mesh on the creek wall and then maybe plant something that has good roots to help the erosion.

Does anyone have any ideas/comments?

Thank you

Silvia

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Sounds like a great idea. For the mesh, there's a product called ecogrid that is made of recycled plastic and designed for the purpose. But chicken wire would work too and might be cheaper.

This article has a list of good ground cover plants for the purpose with what kind of situation they do best in:

https://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/DG1114.html

Among native plants, I planted white snake root on my hillside. It is beautiful right now, since it's fall blooming covered in brilliantly white little flowers. I pulled about a haystack of it out this year, because it was choking out other things I wanted, but it would be good if you just want it to fill in. Wild ginger is a nice looking low ground cover that spreads pretty fast in shady places. Bluets, bush clover. Partridge berry is a creeping ever green. If your creek edge is damp, ferns would be nice, common lady fern is a pretty native fern...

Just some thoughts...

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”