Muffette
Newly Registered

Citronella Grass

Does anyone know of a nursery in SW LA - or an online store - that sells Citronella Grass (Cymbopogon nardus or Cymbopogon winterianus)? My husband wants to plant this along the ditch on one side of our property to provide privacy from the new house that's being built next door - and hopefully (!!) to help with mosquito control. This particular area is just a long strip about 12' wide with nothing but Zoyia lawn and a couple pine trees, so I'm not overly worried about the invasive characteristics of this grass. I'd like to start some in pots over the winter, so they'll be mature enough to plant outdoors in the spring. Many thanks!!
Muffette

Muffette
Newly Registered

P.S. We live in Southwest Louisiana - not Los Angeles!! Sorry for the confusion!!
Muffette

aklimit
Newly Registered

Researching Citronella Grass also - found this website and intend to try it out !! Has anyone else ever used this online company?

Colonial Creek Farm

https://www.colonialcreekfarm.com/Citron ... p_102.html

Description
(cymbopogon nardus)This non-edible tropical grass is the source of commercial citronella oil used in various products to repel mosquitos and other biting flies. Coarse grass quickly grows to a large clump up to 6' wide by 6' tall in warm climates. Frost sensitive grass can be overwintered indoors with adequate light in colder climates. Grass can be rubbed on clothing to repel mosquitos, but please use caution when rubbing on bare skin as it has been known to cause an allergic skin reaction in some individuals. Tender perennial zones 11+ One live starter plant in 2 1/2" pot.

applestar
Mod

Is it different from "lemongrass" commonly used for southeast Asian cooking?

My original came from a Korean grocery store -- the fresh firm bunch was wrapped in plastic wrap and had a bit more of the base corms than the limp ones I have seen in supermarkets, and they rooted readily when put in an inch or so of water or planted in sandy potting mix. In my climate, I have to dig up and bring them in for the winter, but they readily grow into large clumps during the growing season and have multiplied even though I dig up, divide and give away every year.

aklimit
Newly Registered

It is related to lemongrass but the citronella plant
Is used to repel mosquitoes.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”