Deflation33

Moisture Meter?

I went and got a moisture meter yesterday. I admit I got it from Wal-Mart for $4.75. I hope that isnt bad, but its really the only place to buy something like that.

Anyways, I don't know much about them. When I stick it in the soil, it goes straight to "Wet", and then after a minute or so goes down to "Moist." Same thing every time, and its been a day. I don't know if its broken or if my plant just has that much water or what.

Also, they had humidity trays I was looking at, but they are all to small for my pot, so I just got a regular clear platic tray. Will this work?

Thanks a lot!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Moisture meters are subjective; if you find the place where your tree is happy and the corresponding spot on the water meter, well, there it is.

As for the plastic tray, if it's one of those ones with the 2" sides on it, that's really not going to work, as it will create a dead zone for air circulation under the pot; remember that waterinbg is as much about gas exchange as moisture (make sure to read the bonsai articles). Try a good garden center (I know theres one within an hours drive somewhere) and get the right tool for the job...

Scott

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Moisture meters are subjective; if you find the place where your tree is happy and the corresponding spot on the water meter, well, there it is.

As for the plastic tray, if it's one of those ones with the 2" sides on it, that's really not going to work, as it will create a dead zone for air circulation under the pot; remember that waterinbg is as much about gas exchange as moisture (make sure to read the bonsai articles). Try a good garden center (I know theres one within an hours drive somewhere) and get the right tool for the job...

Scott
Try looking for a garden center here:
[url]https://www.helpfulgardener.com/nursery/nurseries/north-carolina.html[/url]

Deflation33

I think its one of those ones that you put under pots so that the water that comes from the bottom of the pot will not leak out. Its probably 3/4 of an inch high, clear, and a lot wider than my tree. Its been very rainy lately so It hasnt done a whole lot of evaporating.

I also have the pot to my tree up from the water about an inch, as I think this is what you said to do?

Deflation33

I do not think that my moisture meter is working.

it has been 3 days since I have watered because the reading on my meter comes up as the exact same every time, which is 5 in moist. It has been very rainy and humid here all week due to the hurricane, but I still think my tree needs to get some water. Should I trust my meter?

How do you know when your tree is dried out, or when it has to much water?

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”