GeorgiaGirl

Rain, rain, go away...NEVER thought I'd hear myself say THAT

It's been raining for days here and it's been glorious.

Until now. My yard is sporting quite a few new water features. Several rivers, a lake, and a couple of waterfalls to boot. :shock:

I have several large containers outside to collect rain water, and they are all overflowing. One tug trug, for example, is about 16" tall, and it's overflowing... we can't honestly have had 16" of rain in the last couple of days, can we??!

My plants are DROWNING... will they even survive?? I'm just glad I hadn't overseeded my fescue yet or all that seed would be washed away by now.

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

I'd pull the pots in, I've had a whole pot of flowers wash away. I wish we could steal your rain, we only got 15 minutes yesterday :(

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

The weather map has shown up to 60% chances of rain for the past two weeks now. We may have gotten two tenths of an inch, maybe not that much. It is funny how GA is getting the rain and then it is curling around all but the NW corner of SC and then is dropping huge amounts on NC.

Earl K
Green Thumb

georgiagirl,I guess it would be possible to get 16 in. of rain in a short period.We got 27 in. a year or 2 ago in bout 24 hrs. when T.S. fay came through.Good luck and stay dry and safe :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I just saw this news item on line:

Storms that pounded the Southeast on Monday turned sleepy creeks into rivers, and rivers into raging floodwaters. Six people were killed across the region, including five in the Atlanta area. Aerial shots showed schools, football fields, even entire neighborhoods submerged by the deluge, sending some unlucky residents scurrying for higher ground....

The storm came after days of rain pounded most of the region and saturated the soil. Some parts of Georgia have had more than 20 inches since Friday. ...

Many parts of north Georgia have experienced "historic" amounts of rain well in excess of so-called 100-year predictions, which describe a storm with the likelihood of happening once every century, said Stooksbury. The downpours come just months after much of the region emerged from an epic drought that plagued the region since 2007.
https://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090922/ap_on_re_us/us_heavy_rain_southeast

Weird weather ... they don't appear to be calling it a tropical storm or hurricane or anything, but you'd think there has to be some special name for that much rain!

Stay safe and worry about the garden later after things settle down!

GeorgiaGirl

rainbowgardener wrote:The storm came after days of rain pounded most of the region and saturated the soil. Some parts of Georgia have had more than 20 inches since Friday. ...
Yeah, shortly after I posted this morning, I looked it up and as of then, they were saying 16 inches of rain... insane!!
Weird weather ... they don't appear to be calling it a tropical storm or hurricane or anything, but you'd think there has to be some special name for that much rain!
No kidding! Earlier while I was watching the torrential downpour filling the retention pond near our property, I was thinking, "Wow, I didn't know Georgia had monsoon season!!"

Wish I could send some of this rain to those of you who need it! :?

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

Well, you've gone and done it, it;s been rainf for the last 8-9 hours. Knocked off one of my jalapeno's(just start fruiting :( ). Glad to have the rain, but now I'm thinking it's a bad time to have Jalapeno's in the ground, they might drown!

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”