a0c8c
Greener Thumb

Why I like Local Nurseries

I stopped by our one and only nursery here in Gonzales yesterday before hitting the park and checked out their selection. Not much as far as flowers go, mainly a bunch of different mums. But there were some herbs that just got in and some other winter crops. I was looking around when I came upon some Chocolate Mint. That's probably my favorite herb there is. It just smells wonderful. So, I decide to get one. While talking with the Master Gardener, who happens to be from Iowa like me, she mentions who she can't get rid of her Jalapeno's. They're getting kinda late so most don't want them anymore. So, I buy my mint for $1.49, and come home with 6 Jalapeno plants for free! Oh, and as soon as I mentioned my compost she perked up, smiled and starting spewing out more organic info than my brain could handle at one time. She fertilizes the plants there ogranically :)

I of course wasn't paying attention and brought home Spearmint, but it was still worth the trip. I'll have to go back and get some Chocolte mint later today :)

Not Bad for $1.49 :)
[img]https://i30.tinypic.com/2hcfapv.jpg[/img]

Tinybu88les8

oh neat! I have chocolate mint in my garden. watch out for those runners! Otherwise it will completely take over your garden if you let it.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I like to buy local for a number of reasons. One is the money stays local and you get ideas from them. There are lots of farms and nursery farms around me and I know a number of the growers. I buy most of my stuff from the farmers that sell to nurseries so I get real good deals, some times free as I do things for them also. Oregon exports lots of nursery stock. I start most of my vegis in myself.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”