Delilah
Cool Member

Bromeliad 'Aechmea pectinata': How often does it turn pink?

Hi

Does anyone have experience with Aechmea pectinata? I hear that the pink colour only develops when it's flowering...but how often is that, typically? And how long does the pink remain?

I'm wondering what % of the year I will have a colourful plant, versus a regular green one!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Since you hadn't gotten a response, and I'm not familiar with them, I did a little searching for you. Here's what I found:

"From October to January, during the flowering period, the distal third of its leaves becomes red. The inflorescence produces 1–15 flowers per day over a period of 20–25 d. The flowers are inconspicuous, greenish-white coloured, tubular shaped with a narrow opening, and the stigma is situated just above the anthers"
www.aob.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/192/5/731

This is referring to plants in the wild, so I can't guarantee your house plants will be the same.

The inconspicuous flowers are pollinated only by hummingbirds, but since you aren't growing them for flower or seed, that probably doesn't matter.

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

I have heard that the growing point on a bromeliad dies after flowering. However, they do get offsets shortly before, and they will eventually flower as well. It usually takes 1-4 years for an offset to become old enough to flower.
הדמיון הוא יותר חשוב מאשר ידע

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”