Grey
Greener Thumb

I scored 8 new hydrangeas today

Was potting up a shipment of bare-root peegee hydrangeas & come to find out, they sent 22 plants rather than 10. So after I had potted all the good-sized ones (17 of them) they said "just take the other ones home."
Weehee!
I also got an Annabelle and two Glory Blue hydrangeas. I don't know that I need all those PeeGees - but they can make nice neighbor exchange plants!

I also got a free Parisian Lilac. Also a bit smaller than the others. Now I'm looking online to find out what that is!

Darn good day, if you ask me.

I also got a sunburn for all my troubles. :lol:

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

What a score Grey, you lucky girl! 8)
Are you sure it's parisian lilac and not persian lilac? I've never seen a parisian lilac, but I can give you the run down on persian lilac, if that is what it turns out to be.
Family: Oleaceae
Genus: Syringa
Species: X persica
Common name: "Persian Lilac"
Grows 4-6 feet tall, and 6-8 feet around.
Hardy to zones 3 - 9B
Requires full sun and regular watering.
Prefers soil of 6.6 to 8.5 ph.
Flowers are fragrant, and are violet, or in the case of "Persian Lilac - Alba", white.

Let me know if you find a parisian lilac, you've got me curious now!
Have fun finding places to put all those bushes!! :wink:

Val

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Omedatoo gozaimasu Grey (Congratulations). That's a lucky find.

Reminds me of last year when I had bought umteen dollars worth of plants at the Garden Path and then, decided that I wanted a mint plant as well..... they gave it to me for free..... not as good as your find but, they are all good.

Have fun with them!

Grey
Greener Thumb

Yep - it's Persian. :lol: guess I CAN read.

How does the lilac handle clay soil? One site said it didn't care for wet soil - we are on a hill and have pretty good drainage.

I have to go get some more pots for the little peegees. My neighbor has moved out of her home and told me to use any pots I needed from her shed -- but I ran out of those already!!

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Anything I've read says they are fairly adaptable to any soil that has good drainage. So throw some good stuff in the hole and you should be good to go! :wink:

Val

Grey
Greener Thumb

Cool!
It's going to live in a pot for a little while yet - it's all of 16 inches tall and resembles a stick at the moment. The peegees are also going to sit in pots for a little while - they really are the runts of that litter! They may or may not get planted this Spring - might hold them until Fall so they are a little bigger and less likely to get lost. :lol:

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”