juliawash
Newly Registered

Help...Trying to keep my mom from killing her plants

Hi everyone...I am tying to find out...how do you know if and when you are overwatering or watering your plants too much. My mom is very set in her ways and i think she is killing her flowers. we do live in a hot and humid climate in south texas.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

The best way is first to read about the species of plant that you're growing, to make sure you understand what kind of conditions it likes and thrives in. This is probably the most important rule of all, at least IMO. Plants are living creatures, just like animals, and they have specific and individual needs that must be met, if they are to grow and thrive.

Secondly, dig one of your fingertips into the soil about an inch deep. If the soil is dry, the plant probably needs some water. There are exceptions, however, such as cacti and succulents, which prefer to dry out even more between waterings, or bog plants, which prefer to be kept very moist.

Thirdly, if you know you're prone to over water your plants, use unglazed clay pots -- rather than those made of glazed clay or ceramic, or plastic -- because they allow water to evaporate from the root ball a little faster. Always make sure your plants are in pots that have drainage holes in the bottom, and never leave them standing with water in the saucer or drainage tray.

HTH! :)
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

over watering?

Over watered and under watered plants can both look wilty, but over watered ones start to get a little yellowish (probably because you are flushing the nutrients out of the soil). And of course as Kisal suggested the soil will tell you. If your plants are wilting and the soil is dry, water! If your plants are wilting and the soil is staying damp all the time, quit watering!
Most plants like to dry out at least a little bit between waterings.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”