freedhardwoods

So you think you have weeds.....

This isn't in any of my gardens, but it is interesting anyway. These are horseweeds that have grown up into the powerline that supplies power to my house. If you have never had large horseweeds, it is like dealing with small trees. These are 3" to 4" thick at the base. I have a commercial weedeater with a steel sawblade that can cut them, but it is much easier to just use a chainsaw. One individual weed will weigh from 40 to 60 pounds. :shock:

I took this pic from my deck which is about 6' above ground level. As a comparison, the corn in the field in the background is about 9' tall.

They grew inside an old dog pen that we don't use anymore, and I haven't had time to tear it out and clean it up. :roll:

[img]https://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk129/freedhardwoods/Garden/HorseWeeds.jpg[/img]

applestar
Mod

Ha! and I thought MY horseweed was big! I let one grow to show the kids how big they get. Promptly chopped it down when it started to flower as I DID NOT want all those flowers to go to seed! That's a 5' fence. I think it was ONLY 2" thick at the time, but I needed 3 cuts with a lopper. Your MONSTERS must be tapping into all that fertilizer the dogs left behind, freedhardwoods. :P
[img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/applesbucket/Image4683.jpg[/img]
I trimmed the primrose down to the height of the fence, but kept them. They're hard to keep because Japanese Beetles LOVE the foliage, but they're flowering now. :D

katie moss

I thought the south had weeds! That is incredible! Do you have kudzu? Perhaps you could plant some kudzu, it will quickly grow over them ,smothering them to death! :D

GeorgiaGirl

:shock: Crazy!!!
Do you have kudzu? Perhaps you could plant some kudzu, it will quickly grow over them ,smothering them to death!
LOL - so true!! (At least kudzu is supposedly edible and is super-nutritious, as annoying as it is!)

Zofiava

I don't have weeds like that... but then I don't have that land either. I am jealous of your land.

freedhardwoods

katie moss wrote:I thought the south had weeds! That is incredible! Do you have kudzu? Perhaps you could plant some kudzu, it will quickly grow over them ,smothering them to death! :D
If I brought kudzu into this area I would probably get run out of town. Someone brought johnson grass into the midwest many years ago to be used as hay for cattle and farmers have been fighting it ever since.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”