pepper4
Green Thumb

Learning from experience

This was my first year veggie gardening. Alot of people thought I was crazy to even bother doing it. :cry: They asked why not just buy it? Well, for me I enjoyed watching the seedlings grow into mature plants and producing. I also knew what went into the soil and stayed clear of chemicals. I don't have a big garden but I always refer to it as my plantation. I tried celery, onions, radishes, carrots, cabbage, broccoli, tomatoes, various peppers , cukes and green beans. Some I tried because I thought it would be neat just to see how they grew. I am a city girl so I never saw some of these plants grow or what they looked like or what to expect. I didn't have luck with cabbage or broccoli ... they bolted. Come to find I planted them at the wrong time. Too hot. Planted 9 tomato plants and have way more tomatoes then I expected but those people that thought I was crazy are happy. They got home grown tomatoes and they say they taste sweet and really good. My bush bean did good and I planted more seed hoping to get more. Most of the things I gew did really good but I did fail and loose some plants but I learned from it. I didn't only learn from my mistakes but I learned alot from this site. I got advice from some of you that saved my plants and I want to thank you all for that. I will definately be planting next year but with the knowledge I got I will not plant as much of some things and more of others. Thanks to all of you and happy gardening :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

What a great attitude! We are all (hopefully) still learning from experience and it's nice to be able to learn from other people as well. I've been gardening for seventeen years and I still have things that work and things that don't go as well... and I've learned a lot in my months of being on this forum.

The thing about gardening is that every season is different. So now that you have all this experience and you think you are all ready for next year, next year will turn out to be a whole different set of challenges! It's what keeps it interesting. :)

We're glad you found us, keep letting us know what you are learning!

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”