bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Pitcher Plant ID

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what kind of pitcher plant this is. It came with no information, so I am unable to identify it. In the picture it is placed next to an 8 oz pepsi can.

[url=https://img199.imageshack.us/I/pitcher.jpg/][img]https://img199.imageshack.us/img199/8531/pitcher.th.jpg[/img][/url]

And, on average, how long does it take a pitcher plant to root? It currently has no roots.

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Cool plant, but I think you've got us all scratching our heads here. :?:

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Pitcher plants are difficult to ID, IMO. The differences, I think, lie in the shape and coloring of the pitchers, so clear pictures of those would be necessary. (Well, for me to attempt an ID anyway. :lol: ) The only species I'm relatively familiar with is Darlingtonia californica.

My understanding is that pitcher plants don't have much, if anything, in the way of root systems. The roots are only used for obtaining a few minerals from the water, because all the other nutrients come from the animal life the plants trap.

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Okay, so I've done a bit of research, and I think that the plant I have here is either a N. ventricosa, or a N. ventrata.
Last edited by bonsaiboy on Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Okay, so I've done a bit more research, and found out that for being a highland species, N ventricosa is very tolerant of warm conditions (as appose to most). One more question though: what type of light should I be giving it right now?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

According to Wikipedia's entry, N ventricosa grows as an epiphyte in high-altitude montane forests. I would gather from that that the plant is a lower-light species. Wikipedia further states that N ventricosa sometimes grows through shrubs, which would also indicate a preference for lower light conditions. IMO, anyway.

Attractive little pitchers, with the red rim and narrow waist. :)

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Indeed, many many of the pitcher plants have very exotic looking cups, of which can be home to a surprising variety of organisms. And I have found out that, while pitcher plants are almost impossible to identify at this stage, the pitcher plants sold at Lowes (where I obtained this one) are either N. ventricosa, or the hybrids N. ventrata and N. 'Judith Finn'

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”