opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Herbs-medicinal properties

Now, for some of these proposed medicinal properties, there is actually no scientific evidence to say that the medicinal properties exists but, if you find that they work, use them! I do.

So, after a few posts that Scott and I have made in the Vegetable forum, I thought it would be sort of neat for people to have access to this information. In the Pacific Northwest of the US and in British Columbia, all of this stuff is readily available in peoples back yards or in the local forests and meadows.
Burdock: inflamed skin, eruptive and hot skin conditions ex) acne, liver tonic. Harvest root in fall of first year growth.

Calendula: inflamed skin, bacteria infections. Flower before fully bloomed
(Orange flower)

Chaste Tree: Female hormonal Regulation. Berry

Chickweed: Itchy, inflamed skin. Aerial portions of plant (leaves, stock)
(Chickeweed also makes a lovely salad green and is chalk a block full of nutrients for the compost pile (and you))

Comfrey: Cuts, ulcers, open wounds. Leaf and root. Not recommended for people with liver damage.

Cramp Bark: Muscle spasms, menstrual cramps, coughing. Bark

Dandelion: Bitter, diuretic, and general health tonic. Root, leaf and flower.

Ginger: anti-emetic, circulatory aid, colds. Fresh Root.

Hawthorn: General heart tonic, blood pressure rugulation, improve and benefit entire circulatory system. Leaf, berry, flower.

Horsetail: Improve bone density, source of silica. Aerial portions. Prepare as a decoction or tincture (with vinegar). Do not use in raw form

Lemon Balm: Cold Sores, nervine (relaxant). Leaves.

Licorice: Demulcent, antiinflammatory, expectorant. Root.

Mallow: Demulcent, inflamed skin, digestive problems, irritations. Aerial parts.

Nettles: Nutritive, general tonic. Leaves. (Use gloves to pick and lightly boil)

Oregon Grape: Bitter, bacterial infections. Root (should be yellow)
(Make a tincture)

Peppermint: Carminitive, upset stomachs, cold/flu. Leves/aerial parts.

Plantain (who doesn't have these growing in their lawns?): Bee or wasp stings, blood poisoning, bug bites(mosquitoes, spider bites) Snake bites. Leaves.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”