Hortensia
Newly Registered

Orchid question...

Sorry.... amateur, ignoramus gardener here - be patient with me!

A Cymbidium orchid house-plant was givento me as a present about ten years ago. As it soon grew too big for my sittingroom I moved it into the garden where it has lived happily, winter and summer, ever since (I bring it indoors in really cold weather). I've now had my front garden paved over with lovely old flagstones and would love to put it out on show there - the trouble is, its beautifu, long spear-like leaves trail on the ground, even if I raise its pot up on bricks. My question is - dare I trim the ends of these leaves off? Would it hurt the plant itself?

I'd be so grateful for any guidance on this .

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Have you ever repotted the cymbidium into a larger pot? Cymbidiums need regular repotting (every two to three years at my house) and dividing because the growing medium breaks down, roots die and new roots are developed, and the plant grows.

The leaves may be trailing the ground because the plant 1) needs to be divided and has nowhere else to go, and/or 2) the pot is too small.

Cymbidiums are cold-hardy to 28 deg. F (approx. -2 or -3 deg. C). Where do you live?

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

applestar
Mod

Assuming it still trails after repotting, if needed, what about a footed urn-type planter? Make sure it has drainage because some of them don't.

Hortensia
Newly Registered

Thank you both for these replies.

Re repotting, the last time I asked a question about my cymbidium - on another forum, I think - I was told NOT to repot, so I didn't! (orchids don't like it, I was told.).

I'll get a bigger pot a.s.a.p. now, and I'll also give it some orchid feed, something I've never done before (when you think of it, it's a miracle the poor thing has not only survived, but flowered gloriously year after year).

I'm in the UK, by the way. I didn't realise this was a US site, but I suppose horticultural advice is broadly the same the world over.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

There is a large membership here from the UK: England, Scotland, and Wales. A very few people, though, from Ireland (either jurisdiction).

Some Kiwis and some Aussies, and many Canadians, so far as former Commonwealth countries are concerned.

I've also seen postings from people in non-English-speaking countries, so clearly we have a wide appeal!

Cynthia

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

I don't think it needs to be divided, as you may want to have a large specimen plant.
הדמיון הוא יותר חשוב מאשר ידע

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”