bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

What Type of Soil for a Bromeliad?

I have obtained a small bromeliad pup without roots, and I am not very good with rooting bromeliads, as my other 2 pups have died. I have researched rooting bromeliads, but the only instructions I can find are general instructions; not very helpful. Unfortunatly, it came with no label, so I am not farmilar with its exact species, although it seems to be a miniature Neoregelia. If anyone can help with either care instructions, or more importantly, what type of soil to use, that would be great.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I would use a potting mix designed for cacti and succulents. I realize broms are epiphytic, but they can grow in pots. The potting mix for cacti and succulents is very fast draining, and that would be important for a brom.

Use a smallish pot, since broms don't have extensive root systems. Too much soil around the roots can lead to root rot.

Water thoroughly until the water runs out the drainage holes in the bottom of the pot. Do not water again until the soil is dry to about 1/2 to 1 inch deep. Broms don't like a lot of water on their roots.

If your brom has thick, leathery leaves, it will like brighter light. If it has thinner leaves, then it will prefer lower light.

They are tropical plants and will appreciate humidity, but they also need good air circulation.

HTH! :)

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”