Gerrie

Where can I get small amounts of Amonium Nitrate?

I need to feed my strawberries this mo. and /or next with Amonium Nitrate. I only need 1/2 pound per 100' row. I have less than 80' of berries this yr. The local Grange sells it in 80 Pound bags, which would last into my great, great, great grandchildrens lives IF they want to garden.

Does anyone know how else it might be sold, under another name or product type? Is there any substitute I could use that you've heard of?

freedhardwoods

Do you not use fertilizer on the rest of your garden? Corn needs lots of nitrogen. I use urea which is 46-0-0 compared to AN which is 33-0-0. I use about 40 lbs of urea per year. I buy urea and 6-24-24 and mix my own ratios to fit what I am fertilizing.
If you really only want a small amount, I would think you could find it at a garden center somewhere. 8)

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

When I have need of only a small amount of something for my garden, I ask my friends and neighbors if they happen to have some of what I need. If they do, I ask if they will sell me the amount I need. I have always been able to find whatever amendments I needed. :)

rootsy
Green Thumb

I doubt you'll find any X-0-0 bagged in any quantity smaller than 40 - 50 lbs... If you can locate a local bulk supplier / bagger (think commercial farm supply NOT TSC, etc) you may be able to purchase what you need on a per / lb basis.

Just remember... if you are putting down granulated you need to get it watered in (either through irrigation or rain) ASAP before the nitrogen volitizes and off gasses into the atmosphere...

Another option may be finding some bagged Ammonium Sulfate (21-0-0-24) and mixing it into an 8-0-0-9 solution with water and dribbling it next to the row... You won't need to wet it in that way...

Gerrie

Thanks, everyone. I didn't realize the stuff wasn't natural and have decided not to use it. There must be a natural product I can use in place of it. I'll do a separate post on 'what to feed strawberries in mid season.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”