LynnW

Tree Removal and Shrubs and Roots

Hi All,

My husband is planning on building a garden shed in our backyard. Problem is where the shed is going to be has some wild trees and shrubs. He will remove them but was wondering if there is anything he can put on the stumps and roots to completely kill them so we won't have to remove the stumps. Also we don't want the weeds and shrubs growing little suckers up and around the base of the shed. Is there such a product?
Thanks
Lynn

Grey
Greener Thumb

I'd suggest cutting the trees that need to go for the shed about 6" or so below the soil line. I'd rather see the shrubs moved entirely (roots and all) if you cannot keep them, maybe a neighbor would like them.

Once the shed is on top, the cut roots probably won't try to come up. Are you pouring a foundation, or will it be on a platform?

LynnW

IT will be a platform. The shrubs are not shrubs in the truest sense of the word. They are wild weed type shrubs and trees that have grown in the area on their own. If they were a regulat shrub or tree we would move them.

Thanks
Lynn

all_atv

I had a powder I got from I think walmart or maybe a garden store. That was for rotting of stumps you drill holes in the stumps and pour the powder and water in there and it causes decay much faster which I'm sure would kill it also. There is also something ive seen in catalogs that will burn the roots all the way to the tips with no danger of fire it is a chemical reaction.
I would suggest covering the area for the shed with a layer 6 inches or so deep by about a foot larger on all sides with lime chips from a quarry which you surley have nearby for only 6 or 8 bucks a ton and garden shed will only need a couple tons. It will harden under your shed almost like concrete so the shrubs weeds and trees wont ever see light or moisture again and the extra around the edge will keep weeds down around the edge so you wont have to mow or weed eat that close

LynnW

Thanks! That helps a lot.

:D Lynn

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”